+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can i work part time if i'm on semester break?

Bobby198

Dec 10, 2019
So I was full time registered student at college in September 2018 , I failed 2 core courses in my first semester therefore my academic advisor advised me to take a study break, I did not register for winter 2019 semester and summer was scheduled break in my program. I joined back in 2019 September. My concern here is i was working part time throughout my break from January to September, can it affect me in future when i apply for work permit?

Last edited:

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
You are only allowed to work during official breaks, these are breaks that are part of the program, since you took the brake yourself I don't think you were allowed to work. It depends on what you apply for in the future but since you took a break you already dont qualify for post graduate work permit regardless of the work. You should check with international advisor at school.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
So I was full time registered student at college in September 2018 , I failed 2 core courses in my first semester therefore my academic advisor advised me to take a study break, I did not register for winter 2019 semester and summer was scheduled break in my program. I joined back in 2019 September. My concern here is i was working part time throughout my break from January to September, can it affect me in future when i apply for work permit?
You didn’t have permission to work throughout the whole time so yes it can certainly lease to problems.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
You worked illegally and you don't qualify for a PGWP.

Bobby198

Dec 10, 2019
You are only allowed to work during official breaks, these are breaks that are part of the program, since you took the brake yourself I don't think you were allowed to work. It depends on what you apply for in the future but since you took a break you already dont qualify for post graduate work permit regardless of the work. You should check with international advisor at school.
Edit: When i mentioned above that i i joined back in 2019 September , what i meant was i re-register for the same program starting from first semester and expect to finish my 2 years study in June 2021 without any unofficial breaks.

Does CIC checks every applicant's background and work hours for work permit or they just do random checks? If so any chance for me to get accepted for work permit?

Thank you.

Bobby198

Dec 10, 2019
You worked illegally and you don't qualify for a PGWP.
Edit: When i mentioned above that i i joined back in 2019 September , what i meant was i re-register for the same program starting from first semester and expect to finish my 2 years study in June 2021 without any unofficial breaks.

Does CIC checks every applicant's background and work hours for work permit or they just do random checks? If so any chance for me to get accepted for work permit?

Thank you.

Bobby198

Dec 10, 2019
You didn’t have permission to work throughout the whole time so yes it can certainly lease to problems.

Thank you.

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014

Thank you.
They don't generally check if you worked illegally, there is a good chance you might get it.
The issue for you might be that its going to be clear that you came in 2018 but your transcripts are going to show that you only started school in 2019 a year later so that might raise their suspicions as to what you were doing for a year.