+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I work full-time for another country's company while studying in Canada

jesssable6

Aug 16, 2021
Dear Sir or Madam,
I want to study in Canada by pursuing pgdiploma course which is 3 hours for 3 days in a week (For 12 Months in Montreal college). I am currently having a Indian IT full-time Job which is permanent wfh(I can work remotely from anywhere).

My question is : 1. If I study in Canada for mentioned course(i.e. course which is 3 hours for 3 days in a week (For 12 Months in Montreal college 900 hours course), can I parallelly continue my INDIAN full-time REMOTE JOB (pay comes in Indian bank account and I pay tax to India) while physically studying in Canada?

2. Currently I have 5 years of Indian IT JOB experience. If I study in Canada (by physically present in Canada) while continuing INDIAN IT full-time (40 hours per week) remote job (permanent work from home) in Canada, will it break any rules of student permit?

Please sir your help will be truly appreciated.

Thank you,
Jess

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Dear Sir or Madam,
I want to study in Canada by pursuing pgdiploma course which is 3 hours for 3 days in a week (For 12 Months in Montreal college). I am currently having a Indian IT full-time Job which is permanent wfh(I can work remotely from anywhere).

My question is : 1. If I study in Canada for mentioned course(i.e. course which is 3 hours for 3 days in a week (For 12 Months in Montreal college 900 hours course), can I parallelly continue my INDIAN full-time REMOTE JOB (pay comes in Indian bank account and I pay tax to India) while physically studying in Canada?

2. Currently I have 5 years of Indian IT JOB experience. If I study in Canada (by physically present in Canada) while continuing INDIAN IT full-time (40 hours per week) remote job (permanent work from home) in Canada, will it break any rules of student permit?

Please sir your help will be truly appreciated.

Thank you,
Jess
Does the employer have offices or clients in Canada?

jesssable6

Aug 16, 2021
The company for which I work for is Indian company and it has acquired numerous international companies including Canadian companies but I get paid by Indian company having headquarter in Mumbai, Maharashtra (parent company).

I will explain detailed scenario here :
My Company (AAA Indian company). It has acquired several international companies (BBB{from usa}, CCC {from japan}, {DDD from Canada}). I get paid from AAA company having headquarter in Mumbai, Maharashtra, India.

This is the structure of my company. So basically, even if it has acquired (bought) many other companies, I work for AAA which is Indian company with headquarter in India only. So, can I work remotely for AAA Indian company while studying and physically available in Canada?

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The company for which I work for is Indian company and it has acquired numerous international companies including Canadian companies but I get paid by Indian company having headquarter in Mumbai, Maharashtra (parent company).

I will explain detailed scenario here :
My Company (AAA Indian company). It has acquired several international companies (BBB{from usa}, CCC {from japan}, {DDD from Canada}). I get paid from AAA company having headquarter in Mumbai, Maharashtra, India.

This is the structure of my company. So basically, even if it has acquired (bought) many other companies, I work for AAA which is Indian company with headquarter in India only. So, can I work remotely for AAA Indian company while studying and physically available in Canada?
You need an immigration lawyer’s opinion. The safe option would be no you can’t work for them but it really depends on the structure between the companies. You have also not mentioned whether the company has any clients in Canada. If so that would also mean no you can’t work for them.

jesssable6

Aug 16, 2021
You need an immigration lawyer’s opinion. The safe option would be no you can’t work for them but it really depends on the structure between the companies. You have also not mentioned whether the company has any clients in Canada. If so that would also mean no you can’t work for them.
Can we please connect on my Gmail? I can show you detailed structure of my organization. Could you please ping me on this mail so that we can connect for 5 mins? Please.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Can we please connect on my Gmail? I can show you detailed structure of my organization. jesssable6@gmail.com. Could you please ping me on this mail so that we can connect for 5 mins? Please.
Sorry I’m just a volunteer and not a lawyer. If this is a large company you may also be unaware of any clients/customers in Canada on top of the issue with the business structure. You could probably set up a consulting business and bill your employer for the 20 hours or less of work you do for them. Will let others also comment on your situation.

jesssable6

Aug 16, 2021
Sorry I’m just a volunteer and not a lawyer. If this is a large company you may also be unaware of any clients/customers in Canada on top of the issue with the business structure. You could probably set up a consulting business and bill your employer for the 20 hours or less of work you do for them. Will let others also comment on your situation.
Okay sure.

Mar 30, 2018
Hi,
(Please note that I'm speaking on behalf of Jesssable6)
Since this company is expanded globally, I'm sure that it has clients based in Canada. However, Jesssable6's job posting, taxes and payments are being operated by India. She would just physically present in Canada working for Indian org on Indian payroll because of WFH policy, in addition to valid full time student status.