+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I use AINP file number to extend my work permit?

JimmyLi

Nov 22, 2013
Dear Friend:

My post graduate work permit is about to expire in march. And I have already applied both CEC and AINP. my Immigration agent is trying to convince me to apply LMO (which will cost a lot of money). he said the file number for CEC file number will wait for at least 3-4month. But I have already received AINP file number. can I use it for extend work permit? please help me. or is there any other solution to extend my work permit?

thanks

canadavisa13

Champion Member
Jun 13, 2013
Hi,

your immigration agent is wrong,file number for CEC takes only about 45 dayse to arrive this days(you will receive it by email if you included that in your application forms),since your work permit is not going to expire till march i would say you have enough time to get your CEC file number then apply for BOWP(bridging open work permit).also its most likely you will hear from AINP before march so if you get your nomination you can apply for work permit based on that but you need a job offer from an employer and you will be issued a closed work permit.
i would highly recommend you apply for BOWP if you have the option too since its open and you can work for any employer,just make sure you apply before your work permit expires and include a copy of your CEC file number that you will receive from sydney,nova scotia.you can apply online its pretty easy and fast.
unfortunately you CAN'T extend your work permit on the basis of file number from AINP you will need a nomination letter,if you apply using AINP file number only you will get rejected for sure.

JimmyLi

Nov 22, 2013
Thank you Canadavisa:

Actually I am so afraid this is some sort of " Business strategy" directed by my agent. since I signed the representative forum. CIC would contact them regarding the procedure of my case. is there anyway I can contact CIC about my file number? at least to know whether CIC have received my file or not. when I signed all the forms. My agent ask me to leave all date blank.

Lets see, If I decided to do student LMO , I can certainly ask my employer to issue me an letter. but what restriction are going to be? I mean, if 4 months later I decided to quit? or I decide to work in another Province? CIC call center says LMO is only a document to acquire work permit. but is this work permit an open work permit. or is it bind to certain employer?

thank you for your help.

moises

Jul 5, 2012
I have the same problem like you have.Applied AINP under Employer driven skilled worker category[April 2014].Recieved AINP File number with message telling It would take 12months for processing time,wich was just fine to see result before my work permit expire.
But processing time was updated,in my case it was adjusted to 15months mininmum to 18 months were my work permit needs additonal 3 to 6 more months extension for my AINP processing time.
December 2014,I decided to apply for CEC where processing time takes 3 to 4 months according to cic,bur on some forum They say it will only take 45 days to recieve AOR wich you can use to apply for an open work permit.If my CEC application will pass then..I'm good.
If I don't recieve any positive result on my applications before my work permit expire,I will take risk to apply for a work permit attaching my AINP file number and a letter why I need this work permit.After all when I submit my AINP application, the processing time was 12months.I guess they will understood our situation and will give us consideration for this matter.

You might also want to check your eligibility to apply for ]express entry[cic.gc.ca/english/express-entry/index.asp].