+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I switch my status from "Refugee applicant" to any other application ?

mdnu

May 17, 2014
Hi,

I had applied for Refugee Protection in 2010. I received my court hearing date in the year 2014. They rejected my application on that hearing. Now I have applied for an appeal on Judicial Review and am waiting for further response, whether I will be eligible to go through Judicial Review or not.

I want to know that at this point am I allowed to switch into or apply under a different category to stay here in Canada (for example Federal Skilled Worker etc) ?

All kind of advice will be highly appreciable and taken on board.

Thank You.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
mdnu said:
Hi,

I had applied for Refugee Protection in 2010. I received my court hearing date in the year 2014. They rejected my application on that hearing. Now I have applied for an appeal on Judicial Review and am waiting for further response, whether I will be eligible to go through Judicial Review or not.

I want to know that at this point am I allowed to switch into or apply under a different category to stay here in Canada (for example Federal Skilled Worker etc) ?

All kind of advice will be highly appreciable and taken on board.

Thank You.
My understanding is that the answer is no. At the end of the appeal process, you will be removed from Canada if the appeal fails. What you do after that is up to you but it would be from outside Canada.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
mdnu said:
No - you can't "switch".

If you drop your refugee application then you will have to leave Canada. Having said that, you could certainly drop your refugee case, leave Canada and then apply for PR through a different category (e.g. skilled worker) from outside of Canada.

mdnu

May 17, 2014
Thank You for the information.

I have couple of more concerns.

1. After receiving a negative decision, consider if my "leave order" is accepted to continue for "judicial review".

Is there a possibility that I can provide new evidence documents to backup my application? Or do I have to stick to the older evidences that I had provided before I received a negative decision ?

2. Also, lets say if the Immigration Refugee Board issues me a "deportation letter".

Is there any duration until which I will be allowed to stay here in Canada ? Or is there any possibility that I can further go ahead and apply under "Humanitarian and compassionate grounds" ?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
I believe that the basic answer to both questions is "No".

1) Judicial review tests the application of law to a case, not reassessment of the evidence.

2) If you are eligible for a PRRA, this may delay your Departure. However once destined for Deportation, you will get no further delaying options.

IANAL...

mdnu

May 17, 2014
Thank you again.

1/ I am wondering if I don't get leave order for the judicial review they will give me removal order automatically or I will get few months if I want because am here been 4 years I opened one business 1 year ago.if I don't get time then what it will be happen my businesse land lord agreement under my name.
I appreciate very much if get details.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
If they are kind to you, they may give you 30 days to leave.