+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can i surrender my indian passport and apply for OCI on same day?

ajaysingh12

Aug 30, 2017
Hello Guys,

I would like to apply OCI(Overseas Citizenship of India) for my daughter who is born in Canada and have live birth certificate and Canadian passport. I went to BLS Brampton to apply yesterday and they said that I will need surrender certificate for my cancelled Indian passport. I got OCI in 2006 and that time there was no such a thing as surrender certificate so they had stamped my passport with cancelled stamp and gave back the passport to me.

My first question: Where do I surrender my Indian passport? BLS Brampton or Consulate General of India office in downtown?

My second question: When I surrender my Indian passport, Can I apply OCI for my daughter on same day? When I surrender my passport, What document(or receipt) do I get back?

Thank in advance for looking into my question and any advice is welcome. Thanks and Happy Sunday everyone.

Note: BLS Brampton were telling me that I would be charged ~350 CAD for surrender my passport. I am willing to pay the amount.

rajmalhotra7

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello Guys,

I would like to apply OCI(Overseas Citizenship of India) for my daughter who is born in Canada and have live birth certificate and Canadian passport. I went to BLS Brampton to apply yesterday and they said that I will need surrender certificate for my cancelled Indian passport. I got OCI in 2006 and that time there was no such a thing as surrender certificate so they had stamped my passport with cancelled stamp and gave back the passport to me.

My first question: Where do I surrender my Indian passport? BLS Brampton or Consulate General of India office in downtown?

My second question: When I surrender my Indian passport, Can I apply OCI for my daughter on same day? When I surrender my passport, What document(or receipt) do I get back?

Thank in advance for looking into my question and any advice is welcome. Thanks and Happy Sunday everyone.

Note: BLS Brampton were telling me that I would be charged ~350 CAD for surrender my passport. I am willing to pay the amount.
You do not need a surrender certificate for yourself. I had a similar case. I got my Indian passport cancelled in 2009 while getting visitor visa for India. Later, in 2010, I got OCI. Couple of years ago, I took OCI for my daughter. I did not need a surrender certificate. However, my wife had one from 2014.

Please read the page;
https://www.blsindia-canada.com/renunciation_ppt.php

Relevant text from above page:
"
Indian citizens acquiring any foreign citizenship on or after 1 June, 2010 must formally renounce Indian citizenship. This can be done by surrendering Indian passports for cancellation. The Indian passport would be cancelled and returned to the passport holder along with the requisite certificate for future reference................................................

Those who acquired foreign citizenship on 31 May, 2010 or earlier need not pay the Renunciation Fee. They must however get their Indian Passport, whether already expired or not, duly cancelled. Necessary entries in the records would be made by the Mission/Consulate and the Indian passport cancelled and returned to the applicant. Fee of C$ 26 + C$2 as Consular Surcharge + BLS Service fee C$ 7.40 (inclusive of applicable taxes) is charged in such cases.
"

So, you do NOT need surrender certificate. Also, if your Indian passport is already cancelled then you do NOT need to pay $26 either for cancellation. I never paid either $240 or $26.

ajaysingh12

Aug 30, 2017
You do not need a surrender certificate for yourself. I had a similar case. I got my Indian passport cancelled in 2009 while getting visitor visa for India. Later, in 2010, I got OCI. Couple of years ago, I took OCI for my daughter. I did not need a surrender certificate. However, my wife had one from 2014.

Please read the page;
https://www.blsindia-canada.com/renunciation_ppt.php

Relevant text from above page:
"
Indian citizens acquiring any foreign citizenship on or after 1 June, 2010 must formally renounce Indian citizenship. This can be done by surrendering Indian passports for cancellation. The Indian passport would be cancelled and returned to the passport holder along with the requisite certificate for future reference................................................

Those who acquired foreign citizenship on 31 May, 2010 or earlier need not pay the Renunciation Fee. They must however get their Indian Passport, whether already expired or not, duly cancelled. Necessary entries in the records would be made by the Mission/Consulate and the Indian passport cancelled and returned to the applicant. Fee of C$ 26 + C$2 as Consular Surcharge + BLS Service fee C$ 7.40 (inclusive of applicable taxes) is charged in such cases.
"

So, you do NOT need surrender certificate. Also, if your Indian passport is already cancelled then you do NOT need to pay $26 either for cancellation. I never paid either $240 or $26.
Exactly. But, the information on BLS and Consulate General of India website differs. E.g. if you look at http://www.cgitoronto.ca/eoi.php?id=oci_application then you will find that
```

7. Surrender Certificate issued by the Indian Consulate/High Commission/Embassy stating that you have surrendered Indian passport upon acquiring foreign citizenship (OCI applicants, if surrendering their Indian passport now, can apply for OCI and Surrender Certificate simultaneously).
```
There is no mention that you do not need surrender certificate if received OCI before 2010.

I went to BLS Brampton yesterday and they told me that I will need surrender certificate. I am confused that they are contradicting their own information on BLS website. I can visit again tomorrow and show them your linked page.

rajmalhotra7

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Exactly. But, the information on BLS and Consulate General of India website differs. E.g. if you look at http://www.cgitoronto.ca/eoi.php?id=oci_application then you will find that
```

7. Surrender Certificate issued by the Indian Consulate/High Commission/Embassy stating that you have surrendered Indian passport upon acquiring foreign citizenship (OCI applicants, if surrendering their Indian passport now, can apply for OCI and Surrender Certificate simultaneously).
```
There is no mention that you do not need surrender certificate if received OCI before 2010.

I went to BLS Brampton yesterday and they told me that I will need surrender certificate. I am confused that they are contradicting their own information on BLS website. I can visit again tomorrow and show them your linked page.
I believe you want to apply for OCI for your daughter. You already have OCI. Point #7 is inapplicable to your daughter as she is Canadian born and never had Indian passport. For parents, you have desired documents for your daughter to apply for OCI. Follow the BLS website requirements/ guidelines and go to BLS in-person for your daughter's application and show print out from BLS website.

ajaysingh12

Aug 30, 2017
I believe you want to apply for OCI for your daughter. You already have OCI. Point #7 is inapplicable to your daughter as she is Canadian born and never had Indian passport.
Ahhh. I see. Makes sense. Sorry, I misunderstood. Thanks.

In case, If I have to apply for surrender certificate, Do you know If I can do at BLS? The reason I am asking is that BLS is in Brampton and CGI is in Downtown so I can avoid making trips to both locations then It would be better.

samm2

Star Member
Oct 23, 2013
Do you have to pay the fine if delayed in surrendering Indian passport after 3 months (in Canada)? Have anyone paid the fine?
What, if you surrender in India? Do they charge fine as well? if yes, how much? I cant find in Indian website.

acerbico423

Star Member
Jan 21, 2018
Do you have to pay the fine if delayed in surrendering Indian passport after 3 months (in Canada)? Have anyone paid the fine?
What, if you surrender in India? Do they charge fine as well? if yes, how much? I cant find in Indian website.
did you pay any fine?