+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can i study part time (40 hours) while on work permit?

PhD Applicant FSW

Star Member
Oct 16, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-11-2014
Doc's Request.
24-04-2015, 05-05-2015
Nomination.....
09-02-2015
AOR Received.
22-01-2015
IELTS Request
Sent with Application; RPRF: 05-05-2015
Med's Request
05-05-2015
Med's Done....
12-05-2015; Uploaded: 21-05-2015
Interview........
Third Line 02-06-2015; Decision Made: 22-06-2015
Passport Req..
29-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
08-07-2015 Received: 09-07-2015
LANDED..........
10-07-2015
Hi Everyone,

Could anyone explain me if i may be eligible to study part-time in Canada. Here is my situation, I am holding work permit which expires in Oct Next year but i am interested in the certificate courses (40 hours) offered by private career colleges in Toronto. This is to get certified from a board/association.

According to the school web site, I don't need a study permit to take these and even when i spoke with Admission executive, she mentioned that i don't need study permit to enroll in their certificate courses. All I need to do is pay the course fee and attend classes or online for 40 hours divided between 4-6 weeks.

On my work permit, however, it states "Unless authorized, must not attend any educational institution or take any academic, professional or vocational training course".

With this situation, can I still take the certificate program since the course is less than 6 months.

Thank you very much.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

PhD Applicant FSW said:
Hi Everyone,

Could anyone explain me if i may be eligible to study part-time in Canada. Here is my situation, I am holding work permit which expires in Oct Next year but i am interested in the certificate courses (40 hours) offered by private career colleges in Toronto. This is to get certified from a board/association.

According to the school web site, I don't need a study permit to take these and even when i spoke with Admission executive, she mentioned that i don't need study permit to enroll in their certificate courses. All I need to do is pay the course fee and attend classes or online for 40 hours divided between 4-6 weeks.

On my work permit, however, it states "Unless authorized, must not attend any educational institution or take any academic, professional or vocational training course".

With this situation, can I still take the certificate program since the course is less than 6 months.

Thank you very much.
1. Yes you can, part time courses of less than 6 months are permitted.

PhD Applicant FSW

Star Member
Oct 16, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-11-2014
Doc's Request.
24-04-2015, 05-05-2015
Nomination.....
09-02-2015
AOR Received.
22-01-2015
IELTS Request
Sent with Application; RPRF: 05-05-2015
Med's Request
05-05-2015
Med's Done....
12-05-2015; Uploaded: 21-05-2015
Interview........
Third Line 02-06-2015; Decision Made: 22-06-2015
Passport Req..
29-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
08-07-2015 Received: 09-07-2015
LANDED..........
10-07-2015
Thank you very much PMM for your kind response.

PMM said:
Hi

Xkorea

Jan 8, 2015
PMM said:
Hi

1. What legal document that can corroborate this claim stating that part time courses less than 6 months are permitted?
2. "Unless authorized" = who will authorize?
3. If authorized, what document should i get from the authorizing agency so that i can include it in my future pr application to show that i didn't violate any work permit restrictions?

strega123

Star Member
Feb 8, 2014
Hi there,
Here U can find some information (CIC webside):
Government of Canada
Search
Search website

Search
Site menu
• Jobs
• Immigration
• Travel
• Business
• Benefits
• Health
• Taxes
• More services
You are here:
1. Home
2. All services

3. Immigration & citizenship

4. Study

5. Study permit
Determine your eligibility – Study in Canada
New rules for prospective international students are now in effect (as of June 1, 2014).
Read about these changes and how they may impact you.
In most cases, you must obtain a study permit if you want to study in Canada.
To be eligible to study in Canada
• You must have been accepted by a designated learning institution in Canada.
• You must prove that you have enough money to pay for your:
o tuition fees
o living expenses for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada and
o return transportation for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada.
• You must be a law-abiding citizen with no criminal record and not be a risk to the security of Canada. You may have to provide a police certificate.
• You must be in good health and willing to complete a medical examination, if necessary.
• You must satisfy an immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your authorized stay.
Exceptions
In some cases, you do not require a study permit to go to school in Canada.
• If you wish to study in a short-term course or program
You do not need a study permit if you plan to take a course or program in Canada that lasts six months or less. You must complete the course or program within the period authorized for your stay in Canada.

• Foreign representatives to Canada
If you are a family member or staff member of a foreign representative to Canada accredited by the Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada (DFATD), you may not need a permit to study in Canada. You should contact your embassy in Canada. Your embassy can contact the Office of Protocol at DFATD to find out whether you need a study permit.
• Members of foreign armed forces
If you are a member of a foreign armed force under the Visiting Forces Act, you do not need a permit to study in Canada. If your family members, including minor children, want to study in Canada, they must meet the requirements.
• Foreign nationals who are Registered Indians in Canada
If you are a citizen of another country who has Registered Indian status in Canada, you do not need a permit to study in Canada.
Need Help?
We may have the perfect answer for you

Xkorea

Jan 8, 2015
strega123 said:
Hi there,
Here U can find some information (CIC webside):
Government of Canada
Search
Search website

Search
Site menu
• Jobs
• Immigration
• Travel
• Business
• Benefits
• Health
• Taxes
• More services
You are here:
1. Home
2. All services

3. Immigration & citizenship

4. Study

5. Study permit
Determine your eligibility – Study in Canada
New rules for prospective international students are now in effect (as of June 1, 2014).
Read about these changes and how they may impact you.
In most cases, you must obtain a study permit if you want to study in Canada.
To be eligible to study in Canada
• You must have been accepted by a designated learning institution in Canada.
• You must prove that you have enough money to pay for your:
o tuition fees
o living expenses for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada and
o return transportation for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada.
• You must be a law-abiding citizen with no criminal record and not be a risk to the security of Canada. You may have to provide a police certificate.
• You must be in good health and willing to complete a medical examination, if necessary.
• You must satisfy an immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your authorized stay.
Exceptions
You do not need a study permit if you plan to take a course or program in Canada that lasts six months or less. You must complete the course or program within the period authorized for your stay in Canada.

• Foreign representatives to Canada
If you are a family member or staff member of a foreign representative to Canada accredited by the Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada (DFATD), you may not need a permit to study in Canada. You should contact your embassy in Canada. Your embassy can contact the Office of Protocol at DFATD to find out whether you need a study permit.
• Members of foreign armed forces
If you are a member of a foreign armed force under the Visiting Forces Act, you do not need a permit to study in Canada. If your family members, including minor children, want to study in Canada, they must meet the requirements.
• Foreign nationals who are Registered Indians in Canada
If you are a citizen of another country who has Registered Indian status in Canada, you do not need a permit to study in Canada.
Need Help?
We may have the perfect answer for you
"Exceptions
You do not need a study permit if you plan to take a course or program in Canada that lasts six months or less. You must complete the course or program within the period authorized for your stay in Canada."

This rule pertains to getting a study permit or not. But when it comes to work permit restrictions.... it's different. Unless authorized, not allowed to study technical, professional or vocational courses. Unfortunately, short term studies that lasts 6 months below are considered technical or vocational like welding(36 hours), blacksmithing(36 hours), Basic Cnc, etc.

Question: who will authorize?

strega123

Star Member
Feb 8, 2014
I called call center they told me that if U have work permit U can do 6 months program without study permit. In case of authorization.... your work permit - visa authorize U to stay in CA.

Xkorea

Jan 8, 2015
strega123 said:
I called call center they told me that if U have work permit U can do 6 months program without study permit. In case of authorization.... your work permit - visa authorize U to stay in CA.
Thank you so much. May I know the contact number of the call center you mentioned. I called cic but it's only the machine which kept on responding to press numbers.

DEC14

Jan 14, 2015
NS
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
15-04-2017
Hi,

I am in the same condition. Did you figure out if you can do part time courses? I tried calling CIC but I could not be able to talk ...

Thanks

xyca2015

Star Member
Dec 13, 2017
Hi Everyone,

Thank you very much.
Hi just wondering if you did the online course while on work permit..how did it go

premktm123

Dec 7, 2015
Hi, did anyone applied for the course or not. And please let me know if the short term course can be used for immigration?

Please advise

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi, did anyone applied for the course or not. And please let me know if the short term course can be used for immigration?

Please advise
You can take a short term course (6 months or less) but it will not count for Canadian education as programs have to be 8+ months.