+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I still enter as a visitor after receiving CoPR?

fakenews

Star Member
May 29, 2019
Finally got my passport stamped from New York VFS and CoPR on hand! With Covid and travel restriction and everything, it's been almost 3 years since I first entered my profile in the pool in early 2019! So don't lose hope, live your life and everything will come around!

So my question is: I have a visitor visa on my passport valid until 2027, and of course the one-time immigrant visa valid until Dec 2022 in the same passport. I have a trip to Canada next month but I don't intent to settle yet and will return in about a week. Can I still enter with my visitor visa and a temporary resident and not officially "land"? I will certainly land at some point later in the year, but don't want the residency clock to start ticking already. Searching from older posts this seems fine and people have done it, but most data points were prior 2018. Not sure if this is still the case now. Appreciate your advice! Thanks!

mbaleine

Mar 13, 2019
When I "landed", I had a visitor visa too. The officer asked me if I wanted to land that day or enter as a visitor. This was in 2019.

arunutd92

May 9, 2022
OP, Were you able to use your visitor visa to enter Canada? I’m in the same situation trying to enter Canada on a visitor visa with copr in hand. Please advise.

matteosc

Apr 6, 2020
You should be able to say that you are not there to settle permanently. I did that and it worked, but I am from a visa-exempt country: my concern is that your visitor visa may no longer be valid after receiving the one for PR.