+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

can i sponsor my spouse even if i don't have a job?

kbdje

Jul 13, 2012
hi,

I'm a PR card holder since July 2009, have stayed and worked here in Canada since then. Last March 2012 I went back to the Philippines and stayed there for 3 months to get married and came back in Canada pregnant. Right now I don't have a work because my boss doesn't want to give me hours due to my pregnancy. I'm planning to sponsor my husband who is currently living in the Philippines.

I called the CIC twice and told me different things which confused me.

My question is: Will I be able to sponsor my husband even if I don't have a job? Is there a minimum income requirement to be able to sponsor a spouse?

Please help me... thanks...

KJG

Champion Member
Jun 4, 2012
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Havana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 28, 2012
AOR Received.
June 14, 2012
File Transfer...
June 20, 2012
Med's Done....
Jan 3, 2012
Interview........
Oct 4, 2012 9:00am
VISA ISSUED...
Oct 4, 2012
LANDED..........
Nov 9, 2012
as long as you are not on welfare/social assistance you can apply for sponsorship

sakamath

Feb 11, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi, India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2008
Doc's Request.
Nov 2011
AOR Received.
17-May-2012
File Transfer...
8 Mar 2012
Med's Request
26-Nov-2012
Med's Done....
24-Dec-2012
Passport Req..
26-Nov-2012
VISA ISSUED...
App abandoned in July '14
Meeting the "Low-income-cut-off" is not a requirement while sponsoring a spouse. As long as you can provide evidence that you worked (you in Canada, and your spouse in Philippines), the two of you have the skills to make a decent living and finally this is not a marriage of convenience - you should be fine. Go ahead and fill that application. Just don't be on welfare.

kbdje

Jul 13, 2012
@KJG thank you so much for the quick reply. I'm worrying so much because one of the call center agent from CIC told me that I can't sponsor my husband if I don't have a job and that I should have at least $22,000 net income.

@Sakamath thank you for replying. I'm planning to provide an Option C Print Out from the Revenue Agency and some pay stubs from the previous months, hoping that would just be fine.

markym

Jul 17, 2012
Winnipeg
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-09-2012
AOR Received.
10-26-2012
Med's Done....
17-08-2012
Hi KBDJE !

we're on the same situation right now. i will be going back to canada this august, pregnant.
are you filling up your sponsorship already for your spouse?

what proofs do we need that we can still make a living even though we still don't have job?

tink23

Champion Member
Apr 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Santo Domingo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 23, 2012
File Transfer...
Oct 9, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Nov 26, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 4, 2012
You can show bank accounts with any savings in them. You can show your spouses qualifications and work history to prove that he is capable of working once he gets here.
If you're going to living in someone else's house (your parents or something) rent free, they can write u a letter stating that fact that u both can live with them until you're able to go back to work and get on your own feet. Just to show that once your husband arrives in Canada his basic needs will be tended to and that you won't have to go on welfare to get by with the basics.

Azsereth

Star Member
Jul 9, 2012
Montreal, QC
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
20-06-2011
A Sponsor must demonstrate a level of income that meets the minimum necessary income or low-income cutoff (LICO) for a given family size, as established by Statistics Canada. The Sponsor is freed from this requirement if:
The individual requiring sponsorship is the spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner of the Canadian Sponsor; or
The individual requiring sponsorship is the dependent child of the Canadian Sponsor

The above is quoted directly from another part of this web site (/immigration-financial-ability.html)

kbdje

Jul 13, 2012
hi markym,

yup i already did fill up the application for my spouse. all the other documents are in except for the letter of employment which i wouldn't have because i'm jobless ;)

how far along are you on your pregnancy?

i just wrote a letter of explanation stating my situation right now and the future plans that me and my husband have in order to provide for us..

markym

Jul 17, 2012
Winnipeg
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-09-2012
AOR Received.
10-26-2012
Med's Done....
17-08-2012
hello kbdje,

that's great !

i'm on my 6th months of pregnancy now, how about you?
i am planning to submit the application this september,
have you submitted yours already?

hopefully, they'll accept the reason why we are jobless. :D

goodluck! :)