+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I skip PR and go right to Citizenship?

live4film

May 17, 2018
I am coming up on my 5 year anniversary of living in Canada. I thought I was going to move but it looks like I am staying here, so I may as well get PR. However I technically meet physical presence in Canada requirements for citizenship. On the eligibility calculator the site asked if I had a PR card, I said no and it didn't disqualify me, so I'm hopeful that I can just take care of Citizenship or both PR and Citizenship at the same time, like a combined application or something. I just want to speed this up as quickly as possible.

Thoughts?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Your post makes little sense given in your other post you implied you are in Canada on a work permit only.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/pilot-license-with-a-temporary-resident-permit.560653/

The rules for qualifying for citizenship are clear in that you have to show 3 years physical presence in the 5 years prior to a citizenship application. This can be constructed with 2 years as a PR and one year as a temp resident,. The one year as a temp resident is calculated at one half day for every full day to maximum one year so in example 2 years to get 1 year.

So no idea what you did with the calculator but unless you are a PR with a minimum of 2 years as a PR along with the time spent as a temp resident to total 3 years you cannot apply for citizenship.

There is no shortcut so you will need to apply for PR first through express entry or PNP, once you get that wait a couple years before you could apply for citizenship maybe around mid to end 2021 begin 2022 adding the process time on top of that as well.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am coming up on my 5 year anniversary of living in Canada. I thought I was going to move but it looks like I am staying here, so I may as well get PR. However I technically meet physical presence in Canada requirements for citizenship. On the eligibility calculator the site asked if I had a PR card, I said no and it didn't disqualify me, so I'm hopeful that I can just take care of Citizenship or both PR and Citizenship at the same time, like a combined application or something. I just want to speed this up as quickly as possible.

Thoughts?
You don't qualify for citizenship.

You must become a PR before you can qualify for citizenship and at least 2 out of the 3 residency years required to meet citizenship requirements must be post PR.

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
You don't qualify for citizenship.

You must become a PR before you can qualify for citizenship and at least 2 out of the 3 residency years required to meet citizenship requirements must be post PR.
Lol.... with all the time spent on typing this question, one could have searched the Citizenship requirement online multiple times...

Reactions: scylla