+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I say "Certified Public Accountant - CPA Ontario" is Canadian degree, diploma or certificate?

Mar 6, 2024
Background: I have done my Chartered Accountancy CA course in India (Course duration or length is 4.5 years). I have also done my CPA from CPA Ontario. However, when I enrolled in this course, I enrolled as International student. And as I already have done CA in India, I had to only clear just 3 day examination at Ontario. Accordingly, I cleared those 3 days exam in Ontario and got CPA professional qualification.

So had I have not done CA from India, To get CPA Ontario professional qualification, I would have taken 3 to 4 years. Because I did CA and CPA Ontario has considered my CA I could get this Canadian professional qualification called CPA Ontario in 3 months of stay in Canada.

In this case, Can i say Yes for the below question. My thought process was if you look at substance over form, I can say this as Yes, because ideally to earn CPA designation in Canada, it will almost take 3 to 4 years. Please suggest.

Question:
Have you earned a Canadian degree, diploma or certificate?
Note: to answer yes:

• English or French as a Second Language must not have made up more than half your study
  • you must not have studied under an award that required you to return to your home country after graduation to apply your skills and knowledge
  • you must have studied at a school within Canada (foreign campuses don’t count)
  • you had to be enrolled full time for at least eight months, unless you completed the study or training program (in whole or in part) between March 2020 and August 2022
  • you had to have been physically present in Canada for at least eight months, unless you completed the study or training program (in whole or in part) between March 2020 and August 2022

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Background: I have done my Chartered Accountancy CA course in India (Course duration or length is 4.5 years). I have also done my CPA from CPA Ontario. However, when I enrolled in this course, I enrolled as International student. And as I already have done CA in India, I had to only clear just 3 day examination at Ontario. Accordingly, I cleared those 3 days exam in Ontario and got CPA professional qualification.

So had I have not done CA from India, To get CPA Ontario professional qualification, I would have taken 3 to 4 years. Because I did CA and CPA Ontario has considered my CA I could get this Canadian professional qualification called CPA Ontario in 3 months of stay in Canada.

In this case, Can i say Yes for the below question. My thought process was if you look at substance over form, I can say this as Yes, because ideally to earn CPA designation in Canada, it will almost take 3 to 4 years. Please suggest.

Question:

• English or French as a Second Language must not have made up more than half your study
  • you must not have studied under an award that required you to return to your home country after graduation to apply your skills and knowledge
  • you must have studied at a school within Canada (foreign campuses don’t count)
  • you had to be enrolled full time for at least eight months, unless you completed the study or training program (in whole or in part) between March 2020 and August 2022
  • you had to have been physically present in Canada for at least eight months, unless you completed the study or training program (in whole or in part) between March 2020 and August 2022
Did you go to an approved DLI? Did you get a diploma/certificate for the program?

Mar 6, 2024
Yes. I got a certificate of CPA
and I am also now a member of CPA Ontario (CPA Canada). However, I am not sure if its an approved DLI.

The CPA Ontario Council governs CPA Ontario and is made up of 12 elected volunteer CPA Ontario members and four volunteer public representatives appointed by the Lieutenant Governor in Council.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Yes. I got a certificate of CPA
and I am also now a member of CPA Ontario (CPA Canada). However, I am not sure if its an approved DLI.

The CPA Ontario Council governs CPA Ontario and is made up of 12 elected volunteer CPA Ontario members and four volunteer public representatives appointed by the Lieutenant Governor in Council.
An approved DLI is going to a college or university for the program. Bullet 3 attended a Canadian school. If you are asking, then assume you did not so you don’t count points for a Canadian program.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/study-permit/prepare/designated-learning-institutions-list.html

Mar 6, 2024
Yes. I dont think so its a DLI. But CPA Ontario is something which is run by Government only. Can I present my specific case to IRCC explaining the situation or is there any forum or Email ID or contact where we can connect with IRCC and talk on a particular case?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Yes. I dont think so its a DLI. But CPA Ontario is something which is run by Government only. Can I present my specific case to IRCC explaining the situation or is there any forum or Email ID or contact where we can connect with IRCC and talk on a particular case?
An association would not be run by government employees. What does that have to do with it? CPA Ontario is not a DLI. People have asked before. You don’t get points for Canadian education as you don’t meet -

Reactions: Taran D

Taran D

VIP Member
Oct 1, 2020

Question:

No...
As you quoted you have to be enrolled for atleast eight months full time....
You literally have spent 3 days as you mentioned and moreover it's a regulatory body and not a DLI ( as mentioned above as well)...

Reactions: Naturgrl

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Question:

You answer no to this question. You did not attend a DLI. You simply got a professional certification in Canada. The part you have bolded is to account for situations during COVID where international students had to complete their studies at Canadian DLIs remotely. This does not apply to you. Answer is no to this question.