+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I Reenter Canada with My Current TRV and Study Permit?

top_gun

Star Member
Mar 9, 2023
Hello everyone,

First, I want to extend my gratitude to the wonderful people at Cohen for hosting this incredible forum!

Context: I completed my one-year postgraduate program at X College in May 2024 and returned to my home country in June 2024. My second program at Y College starts in September 2024. My Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) is valid until September 30, 2024, and my study permit is also valid until September 30, 2024. I have applied for an extension of my study permit for the new program, but it is still being processed. I plan to return to Canada in August and have some quick questions:

Queries regarding reentering Canada:
  1. My TRV is valid until September 30. Is it acceptable to enter Canada with approximately a month remaining on my TRV?
  2. My old study permit is valid until September 30, and I am awaiting the extension for my new program. Is it permissible to reenter Canada with or without the extended study permit?
  3. Are there any other factors I need to consider, such as medical requirements or other documents, when reentering Canada?