+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I quit my current job after applying for FSWP?

Jennyyyyyy

Feb 6, 2015
I am a skilled worker currently working in Canada and have a valid closed work permit based on LMIA. I had 600 points from arranged job offer and got ITA from the first draw.
My question is, am I allowed to quit my job after submitting my application?
This is the information that I found from CIC website and
I meet all the criteria that are written in bold letters.

Offer of employment – Skilled immigrants (Express Entry)
If you have a job offer (offer of arranged employment), you need to update your Express Entry profile in MyCIC with:

Employer name and address
Start date
Labour Market Impact Assessment number
NOC code related to the job
Federal Skilled Workers and Canadian Experience Class
A valid job offer has to be:

for continuous, paid, full-time work (at least 30 hours a week),
for work that is permanent and not seasonal,
skill type 0, or skill levels A or B of the 2011 National Occupational Classification (NOC)

and either:

the employer making you the job offer must have a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment from Employment and Social Development Canada OR
you are currently working in Canada in a NOC 0, A or B job on a work permit that was issued based on a Labour Market Impact Assessment, and
you are working for an employer listed on your work permit,
you are authorized to work in Canada on the day you apply for a permanent resident visa, and when the visa is issued, and
your current employer made you an offer to give you a full-time job if you are accepted as a permanent resident.

In other words, your job offer is valid, whether you are working in Canada or not, if your current or prospective employer:

has made an offer to give you a full-time job for at least one year if you are accepted as a permanent resident, and
has a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment from ESDC.

The only time the employer making you the offer does not need to get a new LMIA is when you are already working for them with a work permit that is based on an LMIA.

irishIan

Star Member
Apr 10, 2013
I'm sure your boss would contact CIC and withdraw the LMIA

without your employer there would be no LMIA and no ITA so why would you want to jump ship already?

susana

Nov 4, 2008
Your ITA is linked to your job offer, so not advisable to quit or change jobs before getting PR