+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I prevent my spouse from visiting Canada?

maryanne

Dec 10, 2011
My sister is a Canadian citizen with 2 small kids aged 5 and 2. The kids are also Canadian. She got married in 2010 to a Pakistani citizen and they have been living in Dubai. Her husband has no status in Canada as she never sponsored him for anything. Her husband has escalated violence against her and this week threatened to kill both her and the kids if she leaves. She is genuinely afraid for both her and her children's life.

My question is: if she leaves him and flies back to Canada with the kids, is there anything she can do to prevent him from following her into Canada? Is there anything she can submit to Canadian border services to prevent his entry into Canada permanently (so that any applications for Visa are rejected?). He has a history or violence in Dubai but she has never called the police because she is too afraid for their safety. Also she is suspicious that he may be involved with some radical fundamentalists in Pakistan and he has a history of taking part in religious violence.

Her plan is to file for divorce after she has crossed back into Canada safely. She will then also fight for custody.

I have searched extensively online and so far have not been able to find information regarding this scenario.

Appreciate any help in advance.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
It maybe of no help at all, but I think she should take as much information (including a copy of his passport if she can get it) and head down to the embassy in Dubai and explain her situation and her concerns. They should be able to provide advice as a minimum. It also documents her concerns about his entry to Canada and potentially flag him as a risk (the gol would be to get him placed on the no-fly list: https://www.publicsafety.gc.ca/cnt/ntnl-scrt/cntr-trrrsm/pssngr-prtct/index-en.aspx). After she gets home, get a lawyer and find out if she can have a restraint order issued in his absence. Best I can come up with.....

And this

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/qc/pub/sn-ns/signalem-report-eng.htm

Last edited:
Reactions: bellaluna

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
My question is: if she leaves him and flies back to Canada with the kids,
Sometimes when just 1 parent flies with their kids, airline staff or immigration officers may inquire if the other parents has given permission, and if so if there's a signed letter that indicates such. This is to prevent 1 parent from taking the kids out of country without other parents consent, unless that parent has full legal custody (which I assume does not apply to her since she's still married). Not sure how it works flying out of Dubai, but something to be aware of.

As mentioned above, she can try reporting him to various agencies to see if any action could be taken. I would also contact IRCC and CBSA, and see what they can offer. He will need to apply to IRCC for a TRV to visit Canada, so perhaps if something is on his record there's a better chance the TRV would be denied. Or if she's lucky he won't be able to get an approved TRV anyways.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Guys, if I have fulfilled the requirements for citizenship application, can I submit my citizenship application from out of Canada? ( I know I should go back for test, interview, oath etc) . Also on average how long does it take from when you apply for citizenship and when they set a test date?
What does this question have to do with the topic in this thread?

Reactions: Buletruck

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Guys, if I have fulfilled the requirements for citizenship application, can I submit my citizenship application from out of Canada? ( I know I should go back for test, interview, oath etc) . Also on average how long does it take from when you apply for citizenship and when they set a test date?
Big RED button.......says "Post New Thread". You might try that rather than hijacking someone else's post. Just something to consider.