+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I marry my woman I love, and just bring her backfrom Ukraine to alberta?

johnnyrecycle

Oct 10, 2010
Good afternoon everyone,
Just a lehman with a curiosity. I plan a holiday in Ukraine later this year. I will be marrying a Ukraine woman while I am there. We have met before in Odessa. This has been planned by us for a year. Our plan for a lifetime is the ultimate goal.
Can I marry her, register the marraige at a Can. embassi in Odessa and just fly her back to begin our lives as married? Will there be issues at landing? I am a born citizen. Can anyone start me in the right direction for the fastest route and an example to how long any delays may be? I am just begining to undertake and would be thankfull for any insight to my questions.
Thank you for your time.
johnny from alberta

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No - unfortunately it's not that simple.

To allow your wife to stay in Canada permanently, you will have to submit an application for permanent residency. Start with this page for details on how to apply:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp

The "outland" PR route application processing happens in two stages. The first stage will be processed in Mississauga at will take approximately a month (this is where you will be approved to sponsor). The second stage will take place in Kiev and will take approximately 4 - 16 month (this is where your wife will be approved as an applicant). So you're looking at approximately 5-17 months total. Processing times are posted here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/international/05-fc-spouses.asp#europe

There is also an "inland" PR application route that you can use instead of outland - however your wife will have to be in Canada in order to use this process. On top of that, your wife will need a TRV (temporary resident visa) to visit Canada since she is from Ukraine. Unfortunately chances are pretty high that your wife will not be granted a TRV since officials will suspect she's coming to stay rather than just visit. However you can certainly try. The application process for TRVs is summarized here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/index.asp

Good luck.

angelbrat

Oct 31, 2009
I hate to be the bearer of bad news and I wish it was that simple for you...but you are in for a long, expensive haul.

Check the links the poster gave you, research, research and even more research. Then decide which route suits you better and apply. You may well find, that your wife will be unable to visit Canada anyway. If she requires a visa to enter Canada, they are very reluctant to give a spouse one.

Before you decide Inland or Outland, make sure you can get her in Canada, otherwise it is Outland and a separation wait unless you can live in her Country during the process.

Good Luck.