+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can i marry my tfw bf so he can stay here for good?

lauriz

Jun 9, 2009
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
12-09-2010
My bf is a tfw worker, he already submitted his AINP self nomination last november but no result yet. they said it takes 8-12 months now.and he got affected by the moratorium. Now the company is waiting for the approval of |LMIA. but the problem is his work permit will expire on aug 24 next month. i dont want him to go back home so we wanted to get married sooner than we planned for him to be able to stay here with me. if ever we get married can we apply to extend his stay here in canada while we process the spousal application? what kind of permit should we apply for? thanks

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Your action of marrying your bf just so he can stay sends huge red flag of marriage of convenient in the eyes of CIC.

Screech339

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
sbarro90095 said:
You should start by visiting the CIC webpage on family sponsorship and familiarizing yourself with this topic:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/index.asp

Bad news: Just by marrying, it does not mean that he can stay here. He must leave on or prior to the expiration date. He can't stay here, unless he has a pending restoration application for his work permit. You should've married and applied for him while he was IN STATUS.
while it's true just marrying your boyfriend doesn't give him the right to live in canada, he certainly does NOT have to leave. If his work permit expires in August, he can apply for an extension to stay in canada as a VISITOR. During this time he would not be allowed to work or study in a program that is more than 6 mo. long. He can apply to extend his stay online, and it is $100. It's recommended this be done at leat 30 days prior to the current visa expiring.

Once his application to extend is in, he will have implied status until a decision is made. Generally, people ask for 12 month extensions. Extensions are rarely denied for visitors who have applied for PR or suggest in their extension application they intend to apply for PR in the near future. There are many people who mention they plan to get married and apply for pr and are successful at getting extensions and staying in canada for the entire process.

Bottom line, he doesn't have to leave, he just can't work here legally. He needs to extend his stay as a visitor, get married and apply for PR.

lauriz

Jun 9, 2009
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
12-09-2010
thank you guys for the info.. we'll just hope that we can apply for the implied status and get his nomination approved before the implied status expires.