+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I extend my visa?

sykonet

May 2, 2020
Hi,

today I saw this

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/temporary-residence/exemption.html#requirements

Right now I'm in Canada as a visitor. My wife is canadian and we're about to send our sponsorship application in the next couple days. But it'll take months until it's approved.
I came to Canada with my eTa and I can stay till March 4th. What I read on the website (the link above), if I understood correctly, after my visitor visa expires I can apply for a visa extension. Is that correct? So basically should I wait until march for my visa to expire and then apply for a visa extension?
Thanks for the help

PAINKILLER28

Jan 24, 2018
Yes you can and should apply for a visitor extension. Just make sure you submit the application before the date your current status expires is fine. No need to do it now .

Reactions: sykonet

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,

today I saw this

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/temporary-residence/exemption.html#requirements

Right now I'm in Canada as a visitor. My wife is canadian and we're about to send our sponsorship application in the next couple days. But it'll take months until it's approved.
I came to Canada with my eTa and I can stay till March 4th. What I read on the website (the link above), if I understood correctly, after my visitor visa expires I can apply for a visa extension. Is that correct? So basically should I wait until march for my visa to expire and then apply for a visa extension?
Thanks for the help
No. You should apply for an extension BEFORE your visa expires on March 4th. If you wait until after your visa expires, you will be in Canada without status and will need to apply for restoration.

Assuming you are applying inland, make sure you include an OWP with your application package.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,

today I saw this

Thanks for the help
Follow instructions here to extend your stay. Make sure IRCC receives the extension before March 4th.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/extend-stay/apply.html

sykonet

May 2, 2020
No. You should apply for an extension BEFORE your visa expires on March 4th. If you wait until after your visa expires, you will be in Canada without status and will need to apply for restoration.

Assuming you are applying inland, make sure you include an OWP with your application package.
oh ok I see, thank you! So could I just apply for a visa extension right now?
Also if I apply for the extension, they'll extend it for 3 months only right? Is there a way to extend it for longer? If not, let's say I get it approved, can I extend it one secodn time once it expires again?
Yes I'm also sending an open work permit application together with my sponsorship application.
thanks for the help!