+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I extend COPR by a few days?

Aug 23, 2023
Hello. I have applied for EE under the FSW category and after roughly one year of paperwork I've finally received my COPR. My COPR is set to expire in 2 months.

However, I have the situation that I went to do a specialized internship on another country, and per the rules of the program, I am not allowed to leave the country until I finish it (since it's short term). I actually expected to finish and come back to my home country before I received COPR.

The problem is that my internship period finishes just 5 days after my COPR expires, so even if I make a soft landing by then it will be too late.

Is there a way to request the IRCC to extend my expiry date by just 1 week? I would be willing to travel immediately to Canada for a soft-landing as soon as I return to my home country.

Or is there no option and I should start the application again? Would this option have any impact on the approval of a future residence application?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello. I have applied for EE under the FSW category and after roughly one year of paperwork I've finally received my COPR. My COPR is set to expire in 2 months.

However, I have the situation that I went to do a specialized internship on another country, and per the rules of the program, I am not allowed to leave the country until I finish it (since it's short term). I actually expected to finish and come back to my home country before I received COPR.

The problem is that my internship period finishes just 5 days after my COPR expires, so even if I make a soft landing by then it will be too late.

Is there a way to request the IRCC to extend my expiry date by just 1 week? I would be willing to travel immediately to Canada for a soft-landing as soon as I return to my home country.

Or is there no option and I should start the application again? Would this option have any impact on the approval of a future residence application?
COPRs cannot be extended. You must land before the expiry date.

You can certainly try contacting IRCC however almost certainly they will tell you that an extension is not possible.

If you cannot land before the expiry date and the COPR expires, then you will need to start the entire application process again from scratch (i.e. create an EE profile, wait for ITA, submit your complete application, pay fees again).

Aug 23, 2023
COPRs cannot be extended. You must land before the expiry date.

You can certainly try contacting IRCC however almost certainly they will tell you that an extension is not possible.

If you cannot land before the expiry date and the COPR expires, then you will need to start the entire application process again from scratch (i.e. create an EE profile, wait for ITA, submit your complete application, pay fees again).
Thanks a lot for your reply. I see, yes I understand then that it would be best to go directly with a new application.

In that case, do I have to wait until the COPR expires so I can create a new EE and apply for ITA? Or is there a way to cancel my PR application in advance (knowing I will miss the COPR now) so I can apply now for EE?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks a lot for your reply. I see, yes I understand then that it would be best to go directly with a new application.

In that case, do I have to wait until the COPR expires so I can create a new EE and apply for ITA? Or is there a way to cancel my PR application in advance (knowing I will miss the COPR now) so I can apply now for EE?
I'm not sure. I don't think there's a way to cancel your COPR.