+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I drive a rental car into Canada (from Seattle, WA) for my first landing?

AvayaLenovo

Star Member
Jul 27, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13Oct2009
Doc's Request.
10Dec2009
AOR Received.
09Apr2010
Med's Request
25Aug2010
Med's Done....
2Sep2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
7Oct2010
VISA ISSUED...
21Oct2010
LANDED..........
30Jun2011
First of all, thanks in advance for all who can answer my question.

I'm planning to drive from Seattle, WA to Vancouver, BC to land as immigrant. However, I will just be in Canada for 4 days and will go back to US after that. Would I be allowed to take a rental car into Canada and drive that same car back to US? I know that this could depend on the rental company...but I want to know if the immigration/border officials would allow this or would this be an issue?

Thanks!

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There wont be any problems its understood that you are landing for the first time and you need a car to drive up to the border, common sense :)

jazibkg

Apr 4, 2014
AvayaLenovo said:

I'm planning to drive from Seattle, WA to Vancouver, BC to land as immigrant. However, I will just be in Canada for 4 days and will go back to US after that. Would I be allowed to take a rental car into Canada and drive that same car back to US? I know that this could depend on the rental company...but I want to know if the immigration/border officials would allow this or would this be an issue?

Thanks!
The immigration / border officials will not be concerned with this, as many people land through U-Haul. Just have the regular car documentation and your receipts from either Avis, Budget, etc whichever you use. You will, however have to tell them that you intend to move to Canada permanently, and might ask for 'goods to follow' list.

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AvayaLenovo said:

Thanks!
You should have no trouble entering (or landing) with a rental vehicle; just make sure you have documentation from the rental company that you're allowed to drive the vehicle into Canada.

StanLauder

Apr 9, 2015
Depending on the rental company it seem to be a possibility. Documentation matters as well as going through the company's hiring rules to make sure they allow such and what will happen if they don't and you go against that rule. As much as I use comparison apps like car rentals market or sites to book cars, I always go deep into knowing what each company states as hiring conditions.

jazibkg

Apr 4, 2014
I think most of the international car rental companies do allow you from either side of the border. Specially in a border region such as BC and Washington.

StanLauder

Apr 9, 2015
jazibkg said:
I think most of the international car rental companies do allow you from either side of the border. Specially in a border region such as BC and Washington.
They mostly do. I downloaded this App and it's quite easy to use to find your favorite company, book and pay later.