+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I credit my work experience while on implied status? (NOT PGWP!!! just LMIA-based work permit)

sandwichmaker

May 6, 2020
Hello, seniors!

I am not so sure if I am eligible for the temporary new pathway stream (essential works).
I had an open work permit from 2019 March which expired on 2020 March, as I was issued with International Experience Canada (so-called Working Holidays).

I started working as soon as I came to Canada, because I had already contacted my employer in my home country.
I started my work on April 1st, and left on September 30th.
Then I moved to the other city (same province though), and found a new job which took about a week.

So now I have work experiences from two different places.

My official work history while I was on work permit is:
(1) from April 1st to September 30th 2019, and
(2) from October 7th 2019 to March 28th 2020.

Then I applied for a study permit for a diploma in a community college, which the decision was made (approved) on May 2020.
Because of Covid-19 my school did only on-line courses so I had to work part-time and attend on-line class while I was in both implied status and on a study permit.

And for the moment, I am working as a Retail Sales Supervisor (NOC B). My closed work permit was issued on January 2021, and before that
I was working as a cashier with $15/hr with an implied status (my study permit expired on November 2020 and I was waiting for the new work permit).

The thing is that, because of the new temporary stream that grants 30000 essential workers PR, I am curious if I have a 1 year of full-time requirement.

Here are some things I am concerned of:
1. Because there is about 1-week gap between my first and second job, I am worried that if it would not be credited as 1 year full time (52 weeks).
I have worked more than 1560 hours in total though. However I know we can only claim 30 hours per week and the hours more than 30 hours will not be considered.

2. IF I CAN'T CLAIM 1 YEAR EXPERIENCE from it, can I add the other work experience that I had with an implied status?
I know I can't claim any work experience with NOC B job which I have right now, but I have worked as a cashier for three months before I got a work permit from my current employer.
I heard that work experiences gained while waiting for PGWP can be credited, but I did not apply for PGWP. I just applied for a closed work permit (w/ a positive LMIA) after I finished my school and was received with a diploma (so basically I was study permit-(implied status)-work permit).

Please, advices from seniors would be very much appreciated.

Thank you :)