+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

can I apply for PR while my workpermit expires in 6 months

ravik

Jul 30, 2008
Hi,

I am working in canada on work permit(Under Skilled worker category) and it would expire in less than 6months from now(5th May 2009), Could you please confirm whether I can apply for PR now? I could get the letter for extension from my employer stating to extend the employment.

Thanks for your help.

Ravik

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can apply for PR under PNP program with the help of your employer or if you have been in Canada on a skilled permit for 2 years, you can apply under Canadian experience class. You should still apply to extend your work permit. Talk to your boss about staying because a PR application will almost certainly not be fast enough that you will get your PR before your work permit expires.

rolly

Aug 5, 2010
Alberta, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila, Philippines
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 04, 2012
AOR Received.
April 18, 2012
Anybody can give me an advice reagarding my status plssss...

I got my supervisory status on my work permit since August 2010 and I already got my wife as spousal permit(open permit) since october 2010.
Can we apply now for permament residency and for what category? Can I use wife's work status? because she got a management position as
Controller(Accountant). Can I have any advice if we can apply for PR or should we wait for atleast 1 year etc...
Thanks in advance.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you go to the CIC website and look at the requirements for the skilled worker program, you can check if you or your wife qualify. Even if neither of you has an occupation in the most wanted, if you have a skilled job, a work permit and a letter from the employer offering you continued employment if you get your PR, that counts as an AEO so you can still apply if you have enough points.

You or wife could also ask either of your employers to help you apply under PNP. If that is not an option, you can wait until you have 2 years on a skilled permit, then apply under CEC.

rolly

Aug 5, 2010
Alberta, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila, Philippines
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 04, 2012
AOR Received.
April 18, 2012
my wife is just under my LMO or permit although she have her own open work permit, what I mean is
when I'm done she's done too.
is our situation does it matter?
thank you

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It doesn't matter if she has an open permit. With a skilled job, she can still apply for PR if she qualifies and you do not. The only problem is that if you apply under skilled worker using a work permit as an AEO or apply under PNP, your work permits must remain valid until you get PR. That means if you do not manage to extend your permit and don't have your PR yet, you have a problem.

With CEC, you must have 2 years of skilled work to apply but after that, even if your work permit expires and you have to leave Canada, the application would still go forward.

rolly

Aug 5, 2010
Alberta, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila, Philippines
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 04, 2012
AOR Received.
April 18, 2012
assuming that I have a letter from my employer stating the continous emplyment after PR, which category should i apply
for best? thank you so much

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Apply for something you qualify for. If your work permit is skilled and you have a job offer letter and you have 67 or more points on the self assessment, you can apply under the skilled worker program.