+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I apply for PR card along with my husband as a dependent?

snigdhap

Feb 22, 2016
Hi There,
I would really appreciate as it would be a great help for me to get these answers.

- I am on Spouse OPEN WORK PERMIT and continuing working in Canada.
- My husband's employer can sponsor him as a main applicant for a PR application.

Ques 1 - Can I apply along with him for a new PR application ?

or he should get first approved then only he can sponsor me? (Which generally takes pretty long time if so then, am I eligible to work in Canada by the time PR application in in progress ) ?

Thanks,
Snigdha

snigdhap

Feb 22, 2016
Hi canuck_in_uk,
Thanks a lot for your reply. Yes we are planning to apply together. My question was intent to that, so you are saying if we apply together then the application processing time will take same for both of us?

Thanks,
Snigdha

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
snigdhap said:
Hi canuck_in_uk,
Thanks a lot for your reply. Yes we are planning to apply together. My question was intent to that, so you are saying if we apply together then the application processing time will take same for both of us?
Yes, you will become PRs at the same time.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It is actually not an option to apply for PR without including your spouse on your application. The only option when you are married is that you can list your spouse as accompanying or not accompanying. However, if you both want PR, it would make absolutely no sense for you to use not accompanying. In fact, I can think of very few situations where it would make sense to do that.

snigdhap

Feb 22, 2016
Thanks Leon, appreciate your time. It would be great if you could answer me few more questions.

We are living in Alberta, and planning to apply PR through my husband's employer. I did a little research on that and came to know.

1- There are two types of PR one is federal and another one is Province wise. Can we ask his employer while filing PR to apply the federal one?

2- Also I heard Alberta is not nominated for express entry hence it would take around 26 months of processing time ?

All are most welcome to answer on this.

Thanks,
Snigdha

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
snigdhap said:
Thanks Leon, appreciate your time. It would be great if you could answer me few more questions.

We are living in Alberta, and planning to apply PR through my husband's employer. I did a little research on that and came to know.

1- There are two types of PR one is federal and another one is Province wise. Can we ask his employer while filing PR to apply the federal one?

2- Also I heard Alberta is not nominated for express entry hence it would take around 26 months of processing time ?

All are most welcome to answer on this.

Thanks,
Snigdha
1. Once you land as a PR, there is no difference between a PNP and a federal PR. A PR is free to live and work anywhere in Canada. Of course you should not say that to your PNP when you are applying or to the immigration officer when you are landing because as a PNP nominee, it should be your intention to settle in your PNP province. However, if you want to move later, you are free to do so.

His employer is not applying for the PR itself. It is up to you which you apply for. I assume the employer has agreed to nominate him to the PNP. If he does and you get your nomination, you can apply for PR based on that. However, if he qualifies under an express entry stream like skilled worker or Canadian experience class, you can apply for federal PR through express entry without the nomination.

2. Looking at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/provincial/index.asp they say that:

Each province and territory’s streams, eligibility requirements and nomination guidelines for their PNP can change without notice. Check the websites of the provinces or territories for the most up-to-date information.

If you are nominated under a non-Express Entry stream:

you will have to apply through the paper-based process, and
if the province or territory finds you eligible and nominates you, you will send an application to Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC).

If you are nominated under a province or territory’s Express Entry stream, you must:

meet their requirements, and
meet the minimum criteria for Express Entry
this includes meeting the requirements of at least one of the immigration programs it covers.

You can use our online tool, Come to Canada, to see if you are eligible. If you are invited to apply for permanent residence, you will submit an online application to CIC.
So basically what that means that as a PNP nominee, you can only apply under express entry if your province has an express entry stream. Alberta does not seem to have an express entry stream at the moment but you can call them and ask if they are planning to. If they are, you might be able to get in there. If not, the processing time is currently 15 months according to http://www.cic.gc.ca/englisH/information/times/index.asp but that is not including the time it takes Alberta to give you the nomination. You would have to ask them how long that takes. However, if your husband qualifies under Federal skilled worker or Canadian experience class, it would take 6 months.

snigdhap

Feb 22, 2016
Thanks Leon,

Much appreciated!! I believe my husband qualifies under Federal skilled worker or Canadian experience class. Let us ask the queries you suggested to his employer's immigration vendor who will work on this. We haven't yet decided as there was so many questions which you did clarify. Thank you so much.

Regards,
Snigdha