+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I apply for PGWP if my study permit has expired?

Ashishsinggh

Jun 2, 2019
Hi . I have a similar issue as yours. My study permit expired on 31 March and I had applied for a new one on April 1 . But, I somehow didn’t correctly pay the fee and thus my application wasn’t submitted. So I found out about this on may 30 and then I paid my fees and then it was finally submitted. So my question is can I apply for my PGWP based on the study permit that expired on March 31. Or should I wait for the new study permit but it’s gonna take another month or so. And my 90 days end on June 30. What should I do now ?

hkang12

May 7, 2019
Hey if you have graduation letter and official transcripts from your college you can apply for PGWP without having valid study permit. better talk to an agent and google new rules for PGWP.

Ashishsinggh

Jun 2, 2019
Hey if you have graduation letter and official transcripts from your college you can apply for PGWP without having valid study permit. better talk to an agent and google new rules for PGWP.
But I studied for 20 days in April after my permit expired. Is that going to be a problem. I have consulted a few lawyers. They are all telling me different things.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
But I studied for 20 days in April after my permit expired. Is that going to be a problem. I have consulted a few lawyers. They are all telling me different things.
You studied after your permit expired, without correctly submitting the application? How come your study permit expired before your course ended?

Ashishsinggh

Jun 2, 2019
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/after-graduation/eligibility.html

You have 180 days after your school issues your final marks to apply for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP).
To be eligible, your study permit must have been valid at some point during these 180 days.
You studied after your permit expired, without correctly submitting the application? How come your study permit expired before your course ended?
it did coz even tht one was an extension. And i did submit an application on April 1 but somehow paid the wrong fees in some wrong link and the application never went thru until a few days ago . should I just wait for the study permit to come?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
it did coz even tht one was an extension. And i did submit an application on April 1 but somehow paid the wrong fees in some wrong link and the application never went thru until a few days ago . should I just wait for the study permit to come?
Are you still a student? How are you applying for a PGWP if you haven't graduated?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Ok, so you needed a study permit for 2 weeks, but you didn't submit the application correctly. In that case, you studied without a study permit. This may be an issue since you needed a study permit and you were out of status entirely since Apr 1 and are currently out of status.

Your current application for a study permit will be denied as your course is now over. You probably need to file a restoration application immediately and get back in status. Once you're in status, you can apply for the PGWP using your previous study permit and your graduation documents. I'm unsure whether the 15 days of studying without a permit will be a major issue or not.

Ashishsinggh

Jun 2, 2019
Ok, so you needed a study permit for 2 weeks, but you didn't submit the application correctly. In that case, you studied without a study permit. This may be an issue since you needed a study permit and you were out of status entirely since Apr 1 and are currently out of status.

Your current application for a study permit will be denied as your course is now over. You probably need to file a restoration application immediately and get back in status. Once you're in status, you can apply for the PGWP using your previous study permit and your graduation documents. I'm unsure whether the 15 days of studying without a permit will be a major issue or not.
Status restoration application? I already did that along with the study permit. What if I go to the border to get it?

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
It looks like you applied late in the first place? Expired 31st applied 1st? Should have been a restoration application at that point.
Difficult to say whats going to happen now. Also if you apply for PGWP without a valid study permit you cant work until you get the PGWP.

Ashishsinggh

Jun 2, 2019
It looks like you applied late in the first place? Expired 31st applied 1st? Should have been a restoration application at that point.
Difficult to say whats going to happen now. Also if you apply for PGWP without a valid study permit you cant work until you get the PGWP.
is this case too messed up?