+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I apply for owp?

ik202477

Oct 2, 2024
I am currently out of status, awaiting response on a common law sponsorship pr application. My sponsor received the AOR a while back; i’ve done the medical and biometrics; and a few days ago I received an Approval In Principle(AIP) letter. In the letter it stated in a section that i was now able to apply for an open work permit(OWP).

My question is am i actually able to apply for an open work permit in the meantime while waiting for my application response, even though i am out of status. And if i can, how do i fill out the ircc questionnaire to get the right forms for the OWP. As I have tried multiple times and it doesn’t seem to be something i am eligible for because i am out of status.

I am in Canada. Living with my sponsor in Quebec. I also received my QSC from the Quebec Government.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I saw other members having the same issue. May be IRCC online application for OWP wasn't created with the proper options. (this is a special path for inland spousal/family sponsorship to apply for OWP even with no legal status)

Is there a paper form application available? Or call IRCC to see if there are other options. Post here so your experience can help others.