+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can i apply for my work permit if my study permit extension is still processing?

mbenny

Feb 8, 2022
Hello,

I am an international student recently graduated with 2years diploma, my study permit expired on Nov 30 2021, however i managed to apply for the study permit extension by that day itself, that is on Nov 30.
But i am graduated on Dec 2021 and received my transcript by this January 2022, since my study permit extension is still processing many friends told me to wait until i get a decision on that, then only apply for pgwp.
I dont know what to do its been a while, should i cancel the extension application and apply for pgwp? Or should i wait? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,

I am an international student recently graduated with 2years diploma, my study permit expired on Nov 30 2021, however i managed to apply for the study permit extension by that day itself, that is on Nov 30.
But i am graduated on Dec 2021 and received my transcript by this January 2022, since my study permit extension is still processing many friends told me to wait until i get a decision on that, then only apply for pgwp.
I dont know what to do its been a while, should i cancel the extension application and apply for pgwp? Or should i wait? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
It’s unfortunate that you waited so long to apply for the extension. You will now have to wait until the study permit extension is processed for your PGWP to be processed. I would apply for PGWP but I’m not sure if you’ll be able to work after applying for PGWP because you are still on implied status waiting for your study permit to be extended. Hopefully others can comment. @YVR123 @scylla

mbenny

Feb 8, 2022
It’s unfortunate that you waited so long to apply for the extension. You will now have to wait until the study permit extension is processed for your PGWP to be processed. I would apply for PGWP but I’m not sure if you’ll be able to work after applying for PGWP because you are still on implied status waiting for your study permit to be extended. Hopefully others can comment. @YVR123 @scylla
Hey,
Thanks for the Reply.
I haven’t applied for pgwp yet. So should i wait until my extension is processed?

Braykhna Khan

Jun 18, 2019
Hello,

Thanks
Hello,

I got into the same situation. I graduated in December 2021 but my study permit was expiring on the 31st of December and the college was not ready to give me the official transcript and graduation letter before January 15th. So, I applied for study permit extension once again on 10th of December and received a temporary resident visa a week ago for 6 months. One more thing, I applied for my PGWP on the 16th of January after receiving the graduation letter from college. Both my applications were in process. They will not extend your study permit visa instead they will just give you a temporary resident visa. Personally, if you ask me now just apply for PGWP with restoration status too. Attach the restoration status receipt with the PGWP application. This is what they require you to do if your study permit expires then you would apply for PGWP along with restoration status. You pay around $600 for that.

Also, please do not listen to your friends. Looks like they screwed you over. But you still have days. If you go online it says if your study permit expires you still have 90 days to apply for PGWP.

Braykhna Khan

Jun 18, 2019
Hey,

I read your post again and it looks like you did apply for study permit extension. They will reply you pretty soon in that scenario. But also apply for PGWP now. Cause you must have received the letter and official transcript from college now.

mbenny

Feb 8, 2022
Hey,

I read your post again and it looks like you did apply for study permit extension. They will reply you pretty soon in that scenario. But also apply for PGWP now. Cause you must have received the letter and official transcript from college now.
Hey Braykhna,

Thanks for the reply, I got my extension approved by the last Friday. Thank you though

taran974

May 12, 2023
hyy friends,
I am in the same situation. My study permit got expired on May 30 and i applied for the extension on march 15. Now I also got completion letter from college and applied for a work permit as well. Now am i eligible to work? Please guide me.....................