+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I apply for a study permit from inside Canada as a visitor?

tanajj17

Jul 14, 2016
Hello, I am currently in Canada as a visitor. I have recently gotten accepted into the University of Waterloo for a master's program. Now I want to apply for a study permit while being inside Canada. I want to know If that's possible. I checked IRCC website but none of the conditions applied to me. They told me to apply as though I am outside Canada. But I just want to know if its risky if I apply while I am I am already in Canada?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello, I am currently in Canada as a visitor. I have recently gotten accepted into the University of Waterloo for a master's program. Now I want to apply for a study permit while being inside Canada. I want to know If that's possible. I checked IRCC website but none of the conditions applied to me. They told me to apply as though I am outside Canada. But I just want to know if its risky if I apply while I am I am already in Canada?
You are applying from outside as being a visitor doesn’t allow you to apply from inside. You are only eligible to apply as “inside” Canada under specific conditions (spouse is on study or work permit, you are on a work permit etc.).

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It can sometimes lower your chances of being approved if you are already inside of Canada since it's then generally more difficult to show ties to your home country. Hard to comment without knowing your full profile. Although it probably helps that you are applying for a master's.

Having said that, people are certainly successful. As your research has correctly told you, you cannot submit an inside of Canada application. You must apply as though you are outside of Canada.

Keep in mind that submitting the study permit application does not give you implied status in Canada. You will need to separately apply to extend your visitor status if you plan to stay beyond your allowed visit while waiting for the study permit to be approved.

tanajj17

Jul 14, 2016
It can sometimes lower your chances of being approved if you are already inside of Canada since it's then generally more difficult to show ties to your home country. Hard to comment without knowing your full profile. Although it probably helps that you are applying for a master's.

Having said that, people are certainly successful. As your research has correctly told you, you cannot submit an inside of Canada application. You must apply as though you are outside of Canada.

Keep in mind that submitting the study permit application does not give you implied status in Canada. You will need to separately apply to extend your visitor status if you plan to stay beyond your allowed visit while waiting for the study permit to be approved.
Hello, I don't plan to extending my stay as a visitor. I just got my offer letter while I was visiting. So, I wanted to apply from here. But that being said, if it okay if I go to the US then apply online for my study permit? Then comeback to Canada as a visitor while my study permit is processing? Or is it absolutely necessary to go back to my country of residence which is Bangladesh.

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
Hello, I don't plan to extending my stay as a visitor. I just got my offer letter while I was visiting. So, I wanted to apply from here. But that being said, if it okay if I go to the US then apply online for my study permit? Then comeback to Canada as a visitor while my study permit is processing? Or is it absolutely necessary to go back to my country of residence which is Bangladesh.
Better to apply from home country. You are not fooling anyone by applying from US

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
if you apply outside of your home country, (e.g. as a visitor in US) it's not making your application stronger...