+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can dependent open work permit holder enter to Canada with student visa holder from USA ?

kvn1994

Sep 21, 2020
Hi, I am in USA right now and currently on STEM OPT. My wife also studied in USA and she just got her H1b Approved. She got the student visa from Canada and I got the dependent visa with open work permit from Canada. Her study started on 11th January 2021. She is doing her study online from USA. Now, we are waiting for our visa to be stamped. After that we want to travel to Canada. Now, I want to know if my wife can travel from USA to Canada or not. Also, I have dependent work permit so can I travel with her as the US Canada border is close right now?

When I called to Canada border services agency customer care number, she told me that the student visa holder can come to Canada, but dependent work visa holder cannot come to Canada without non-discretionary reason. Now on Canada government website I saw below statement which shows if you want to unite with family you need to provide non-discretionary reason such as to live with your spouse, common-law partner, or family member. Which means I can travel to Canada.

Is my understanding, right?

If not, need your suggestion or advice.

(Copied from government of Canada website)

How to unite with an immediate family member who is in Canada temporarily

Who is an immediate family member

An immediate family member is defined as a

If you’re travelling to Canada from the US

If you’re travelling from the US to reunite with an immediate family member who is in Canada temporarily, you must provide evidence that your travel is non-discretionary, such as to live with your spouse, common-law partner or family member.

You do not need written authorization from IRCC if travelling to Canada from the US.

Toks01

Jun 7, 2017
Yes, you can travel with your spouse and you don't need a travel authorization, just tell the border officer that you are going with her to live in Canada for the duration of her study permit and don't forget to go along with your quarantine plan as well because you will be required to do that for 14 days