+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can Co-op work permit be used after graduation

hpjack

Star Member
Jul 1, 2013
Hi there,

Im a new graduate and is currently applying for CEC.
I graduated on June, 2011 and started working on August, 2011. Since my co-op work permit has not expired at that time and my Post graduate work permit has not been issued yet, i started working using my co-op work permit. Then i got my PGWP ready on February 2012, issued till February 2015.

I just DIYed my CEC application and mailed it to CIO last month, using my working experience from August 2011 to May 2013, CIO received it on 21st May, 2013, I have not got my File Number yet.
But then i found out that Co-op work permit is not eligible for Post-graduate employment, does that mean my work from August 2011 to February 2012 is illegal?

What should i do now? Should i withdraw the application from CIO? but i dont have File number yet, can i still withdraw?
Can someone help or give advise please?

Thanks.

Jack

mohd000

May 21, 2013
canada
Category........
Visa Office......
cpp ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-06-2013
Doc's Request.
29-11-2013 RCMP;3-03-2014 MARRIAGE QUESTIONARE
AOR Received.
15-08-2013
File Transfer...
15-08-2013
Med's Request
22-05-2014
Med's Done....
28-05-2014
Interview........
exempted
Passport Req..
20-06-2014
VISA ISSUED...
request to change vo for spouse
LANDED..........
11-08-2014
Work done after graduation under offcampus is elligible but i dnt know abt coop workpermit after graduation. Call cic but i think you r okey

rshellym

Jun 3, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-08-2012
Doc's Request.
20-06-2013
AOR Received.
13-09-2012
IELTS Request
Sent with application
hpjack said:
Hi there,

Im a new graduate and is currently applying for CEC.
I graduated on June, 2011 and started working on August, 2011. Since my co-op work permit has not expired at that time and my Post graduate work permit has not been issued yet, i started working using my co-op work permit. Then i got my PGWP ready on February 2012, issued till February 2015.

I just DIYed my CEC application and mailed it to CIO last month, using my working experience from August 2011 to May 2013, CIO received it on 21st May, 2013, I have not got my File Number yet.
But then i found out that Co-op work permit is not eligible for Post-graduate employment, does that mean my work from August 2011 to February 2012 is illegal?

What should i do now? Should i withdraw the application from CIO? but i dont have File number yet, can i still withdraw?
Can someone help or give advise please?

Thanks.

Jack
First of all, any work experience you gain on off campus wp/Co-op wp/study p is NOT ELIGIBLE under CEC. Second of all, your Co-op wp and off cumpas wp AUTOMATICALLY EXPIRE when you finish school since your Co-op wp and off cumpas wp are TIED with your study p.

hpjack

Star Member
Jul 1, 2013
rshellym said:
First of all, any work experience you gain on off campus wp/Co-op wp/study p is NOT ELIGIBLE under CEC. Second of all, your Co-op wp and off cumpas wp AUTOMATICALLY EXPIRE when you finish school since your Co-op wp and off cumpas wp are TIED with your study p.
Hi Rshellym,

Thanks for answering the question.
I actually care more if it is LEGAL to work under co-op work permit after graduation rather than if it is ELIGIBLE for CIC. Since i worked for almost 2 years now, I still got more than 1 year of experience if i deduct the first 6 months of work under coop work permit.
If it is ILLEGAL, then CIC will reject me for working without authorization, but if it is LEGAL then it is ok.

For some reason, the visa office issued me one extra year of study permit and coop work permit till August 2012 while i actually graduated on August 2011, so the coop work permit is still valid at that time.

So do you think i should withdraw my application and re-apply?

Thanks for the advice.

hpjack

Star Member
Jul 1, 2013
rshellym said:
There is one sentense on my co-op work permit though.
"Remark: AUTHORIZED TO ONLY UNDERTAKE EMPLOYMENT WHICH FORMS INTEGRAL PART OF STUDIES AS CERTIFIED BY THE EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION"

what does this mean?

lithium002

Nov 11, 2008
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb/07/2013
Doc's Request.
Aug/22/2013
AOR Received.
Mar/19/2013
Med's Request
Dec/01/2013
Med's Done....
Dec/09/2013
Passport Req..
Mar/13/2014
VISA ISSUED...
Mar/26/2014
LANDED..........
Mar/30/2014
hpjack said:
There is one sentense on my co-op work permit though.
"Remark: AUTHORIZED TO ONLY UNDERTAKE EMPLOYMENT WHICH FORMS INTEGRAL PART OF STUDIES AS CERTIFIED BY THE EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION"

what does this mean?
As far as I know, you are only allowed to use a valid off-campus work permit post graduation while waiting for a PGWP to work. In that scenario, your off-campus becomes your bridge permit. I don't think the same is true for a co-op work permit.

hpjack

Star Member
Jul 1, 2013
lithium002 said:
As far as I know, you are only allowed to use a valid off-campus work permit post graduation while waiting for a PGWP to work. In that scenario, your off-campus becomes your bridge permit. I don't think the same is true for a co-op work permit.
So basically u r saying i'm working illegally for my first 6 months before i got my PGWP?

lithium002

Nov 11, 2008
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb/07/2013
Doc's Request.
Aug/22/2013
AOR Received.
Mar/19/2013
Med's Request
Dec/01/2013
Med's Done....
Dec/09/2013
Passport Req..
Mar/13/2014
VISA ISSUED...
Mar/26/2014
LANDED..........
Mar/30/2014
hpjack said:
So basically u r saying i'm working illegally for my first 6 months before i got my PGWP?
Yes, but I'm unaware of the implications.

rohitoarxl

Star Member
Jan 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-0
NOC Code......
2171 AND 2133
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
JULY 2013
IELTS Request
SENT WITH APPLICATION
Med's Request
25-02-2014
Med's Done....
28-02-2014
i second what lithium has to say...but best bet is to call cic and ask if you can work with co-op work permit after graduation...its really weird that you had a whole extra year on your study permit generally its just 90 days after graduation...all that said u still had legal status with your study permit just not sure if you were legal to work during that time...

hpjack

Star Member
Jul 1, 2013
rohitoarxl said:
i second what lithium has to say...but best bet is to call cic and ask if you can work with co-op work permit after graduation...its really weird that you had a whole extra year on your study permit generally its just 90 days after graduation...all that said u still had legal status with your study permit just not sure if you were legal to work during that time...
Tried to call CIC to confirm but waited 20 minutes before anybody can pick up so hanged up.

I know! at first i thought i was the lucky guy now this just ruined all my plans....

lithium002

Nov 11, 2008
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb/07/2013
Doc's Request.
Aug/22/2013
AOR Received.
Mar/19/2013
Med's Request
Dec/01/2013
Med's Done....
Dec/09/2013
Passport Req..
Mar/13/2014
VISA ISSUED...
Mar/26/2014
LANDED..........
Mar/30/2014
hpjack said:
Tried to call CIC to confirm but waited 20 minutes before anybody can pick up so hanged up.

I know! at first i thought i was the lucky guy now this just ruined all my plans....
Did you specifically mention in your application that you worked on a co-op work permit after graduation? If not, you're fine. You have one year of work experience from the date your PGWP was issued, and there isn't anything in the CEC application that suggests you show them all your immigration records to check your experience for the entire duration you declare on your application; it only asks for your very last work permit.

While it wasn't the right protocol, I don't think it will be problematic unless it was somehow reported, or you explicitly explained in your application that the work experience post graduation counts because you had a valid co-op work permit.

It would be best to contact an immigration consultant/lawyer to get a definitive answer. Are you in Vancouver?

hpjack

Star Member
Jul 1, 2013
lithium002 said:
Did you specifically mention in your application that you worked on a co-op work permit after graduation? If not, you're fine. You have one year of work experience from the date your PGWP was issued, and there isn't anything in the CEC application that suggests you show them all your immigration records to check your experience for the entire duration you declare on your application; it only asks for your very last work permit.

While it wasn't the right protocol, I don't think it will be problematic unless it was somehow reported, or you explicitly explained in your application that the work experience post graduation counts because you had a valid co-op work permit.

It would be best to contact an immigration consultant/lawyer to get a definitive answer. Are you in Vancouver?
Thanks for the reply.

No, i didnt explicitly explain that my first six months experience is under coop work permit.
I just handed in my reference letter from HR, which says i started working on August,2011 till now. And i handed in a copy of PGWP which clearly states date of issue Feb 2012 and expiry Feb 2015.
I think they can see all my past study/work permits in their system.
I guess the VO can easily question that how can i work before Feb 2012 since my PGWP doesn't cover all my working period and they will see my previous WP which is my coop WP.
But still, i hope you are right...

Im now in GTA..

lithium002

Nov 11, 2008
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb/07/2013
Doc's Request.
Aug/22/2013
AOR Received.
Mar/19/2013
Med's Request
Dec/01/2013
Med's Done....
Dec/09/2013
Passport Req..
Mar/13/2014
VISA ISSUED...
Mar/26/2014
LANDED..........
Mar/30/2014
hpjack said:
Thanks for the reply.

No, i didnt explicitly explain that my first six months experience is under coop work permit.
I just handed in my reference letter from HR, which says i started working on August,2011 till now. And i handed in a copy of PGWP which clearly states date of issue Feb 2012 and expiry Feb 2015.
I guess the VO can easily question that how can i work before Feb 2012 since my PGWP doesn't cover all my working period and they will see my previous WP which is my coop WP.

Im now in GTA..
You're right. The VO might look at the system to cross-reference/double-check your work experience and what your status in Canada was at the time. I still think it might not have really big implications, but then, again, I'm not an expert. Really recommend you find a good consultant in Toronto to talk to about this, as there could be something he/she might be able to help with.

henrycheng000

Jul 30, 2018
Thanks for the reply.

Im now in GTA..
Hello, do you mind if you share your results at the end?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hello, do you mind if you share your results at the end?
Do you realize that post is 5 years old? That person's experience won't help you much, since the rules have changed...