+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can a person whose been deported from the U.S still vist or Immigrate to Canada?

KB1982

Dec 6, 2009
Hi, I am 27 years old, have lived in the U.S in New Jersey since I was 10 and was deported to my native country of Trinidad & Tobago earlier last year after serving 22 in prison for a felony drug conviction for possession & distribution.

Now that I am back in my country, I have been living a different life, I've changed my ways & been going to college for mechanical engineering, which is going really well for me. I would like to be able to vist & maybe eventually be able to move to Canada because of its close proximity to the U.S so that my kids & family would be able to easily visit me there. plus I've also got relatives who reside there as well.

I want to know if my conviction in the U.S would hinder me from being able to get a visa to Canada when Im ready. & If so, is there anything that I can do to prevent/overcome that?

tgchi13

Nov 25, 2009
Ontario Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
NY via Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 08
File Transfer...
05 August 08
Med's Request
April 08
Med's Done....
June 08
Interview........
12 Nov 09
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
refused Nov 09
Re: Can a person whose been deported from the U.S still vist or Immigrate to Can

Hi, yes it is a significant roadblock but not entirely insurmountable:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/ENGLISH/visit/faq-inadmissibility.asp

I'd suggest starting to work on overcoming inadmissibility now even if you don't come to Canada, it will help in other areas of your life as well.

Best of luck!