+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can a newborn Canadian citizen renounce the citizenship

Godzilla9

Sep 22, 2012
I was asked this question: Can a parent apply for newborn Canadian's citizenship renunciation? Or the baby must grow up to 18 and apply herself? Thank you

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The answer is no.

You need to be at least 18 and you must do it yourself.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/renounce-eligibility.asp

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Godzilla9 said:
I was asked this question: Can a parent apply for newborn Canadian's citizenship renunciation? Or the baby must grow up to 18 and apply herself? Thank you
No offense but why would someone want to renounce Canadian citizenship. It is one of the most sought after privilege people want. It is considered one of the most valuable citizenship even more valuable than US. I can understand American renouncing citizenship because of FATCA and being taxed on worldwide income regardless of where they live.

But Canadian citizenship? I would be very curious as to what someone would need to want to renounce Canadian citizenship.

polara69

Mar 9, 2013
Godzilla9 said:
No is the answer for a very good reason. Imagine you are the child your parents took away your Canadian citizenship.. I would have a hard time remaining friendly to my parents.

kumbu.bumbu

Jan 13, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-06-2014
Born in Canada: Assume the new born is born to the parent who is not a Canadian citizen. Parent belongs to a country which does not accept dual citizenship. Parent can get the other country's citizenship/passport, then what is the status?

Born in other country: Other country does not accept dual citizenship. New born got the right to apply other country's citizenship/passport. Applied and got the other country's citizenship/passport. What is the status?

(I believe the child has to wait until 18 to get his/her Canadian citizenship, if needed)

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
polara69 said:
No is the answer for a very good reason. Imagine you are the child your parents took away your Canadian citizenship.. I would have a hard time remaining friendly to my parents.
Not unless the child was being adopted internationally. The child would lose Canadian citizenship and be granted adopted parent's citizenship once it is officially completed.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
kumbu.bumbu said:
Born in Canada: Assume the new born is born to the parent who is not a Canadian citizen. Parent belongs to a country which does not accept dual citizenship. Parent can get the other country's citizenship/passport, then what is the status?

Child would only have Canadian citizenship.

Born in other country: Other country does not accept dual citizenship. New born got the right to apply other country's citizenship/passport. Applied and got the other country's citizenship/passport. What is the status?

Can't really answer that well. Take India for example. India does not allow dual but child is born with Indian citizenship but has Canadian citizenship. So how does this work? It is not like the child took on another citizenship volunteerly. The child may have dual but India may only accept Indian citizenship. Once India sees that the child legally obtain canadian citizenship certificate and/or got Canada Passport, India can then revoke Indian citizenship.

(I believe the child has to wait until 18 to get his/her Canadian citizenship, if needed)

polara69

Mar 9, 2013
screech339 said:
Not unless the child was being adopted internationally. The child would lose Canadian citizenship and be granted adopted parent's citizenship once it is officially completed.
So if I am a Canadian born child, being adopted by a, let's say French family, I would lose my Canadian citizenship? What happens when my French adoptive parent become Canadians, would I get my original citizenship back?

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
polara69 said:
So if I am a Canadian born child, being adopted by a, let's say French family, I would lose my Canadian citizenship? What happens when my French adoptive parent become Canadians, would I get my original citizenship back?
No. You would have to apply for Canadian citizenship with the parents just as every other child applying for citizenship.

The law as stated says all links to Canadian citizenship is gone, the moment child is adopted internationally as if the child was born to the adopted parents.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
If the adopted child was able to retain citizenship after being adopted overseas, everyone outside Canada would be adopting Canadian orphans. Parents can then be sponsored to Canada as PR when child turns into adult. Or parents may want their grandchildren to have Canadian citizenship by way of Canadian by Descent.

Same applied to those who got donated sperms / eggs through IVF. If the child was able to get Canadian citizenship by descent because of donors were Canadian, everyone outside Canada would be asking for Canadian donor eggs/sperm so that their born child would get Canadian citizenship.

The only way the child born outside Canada through IVF would be granted Canadian citizenship is if one of the parents has a genetic link to the child is Naturalized / Canadian born. There was a case not long ago whereby the child was born abroad through IVF through donated sperm not belonging to the one Canadian Born father. The child couldn't get Canadian citizenship due to lack of genetic link to the Canadian father. The father had to start PR paperwork for the newborn.

kumbu.bumbu

Jan 13, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-06-2014
If the child is born in Canada he/she will be Canadian always. With a Canadian birth certificate child can apply at any time for Canadian passport (unless citizenship is renounced after he/she is 18).

He/She can be adopted get another county's (which do no accept dual citizenship) passport. It will not change the citizenship by birth.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
kumbu.bumbu said:
He/She can be adopted get another county's (which do no accept dual citizenship) passport. It will not change the citizenship by birth.
You do realized that the country adoption procedure will not be completed or approved if the adopted Canadian child will not get citizenship of foreign adoptee parents. So when the child get final approval from both countries Canada and the adoptee country, Canada will make sure the child will only have the citizenship of adoptee parents and no ties to Canadian citizenship regardless of birth of place. The severed ties to Canadian citizenship will be one of the conditions of approval of Canadian child being adopted overseas. A lot of countries will want the same to their children being adopted in Canada. All ties to child's country will be severed and only have Canadian citizenship once approved.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
kumbu.bumbu said:

I think it depends on the country but usually you don't have to commit until 18.

For example I was born in the US to (at the time) South Korean citizens with US green cards. South Korea did not allow dual citizenship until only recently. I was a US citizen but I think I had some claim to South Korean citizenship which my parents had to officially renounce for me when I turned 18 when I had to make a choice between the US or South Korea.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
screech339 said:
You do realized that the country adoption procedure will not be completed or approved if the adopted Canadian child will not get citizenship of foreign adoptee parents. So when the child get final approval from both countries Canada and the adoptee country, Canada will make sure the child will only have the citizenship of adoptee parents and no ties to Canadian citizenship regardless of birth of place. The severed ties to Canadian citizenship will be one of the conditions of approval of Canadian child being adopted overseas. A lot of countries will want the same to their children being adopted in Canada. All ties to child's country will be severed and only have Canadian citizenship once approved.
Screech, can you please provide a link to some official source where it is stated that a Canadian-born child loses his/her citizenship when adopted by a foreign citizen? While I see a good deal of information on foreign children being adopted by Canadians (and the procedure for them to obtain Canadian citizenship), I see nothing about Canadian children being adopted by non-Canadians, other than this on an adoption blog:

"Sorry, adoption of a Canadian child to Europe is not possible. Canada does not "export" (for lack of a better term) its children to other countries. Many provinces don't even allow inter-provincial adoption!"