+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CAN A DRIVING OFFENCE STOP YOU FROM GETTING PR VISA

Taffy

Sep 24, 2007
Hi,

I applied for immigration 10 months ago, and recently the visa office requested proof of payment for a driving offence which happened 12 years, I have supplied the proof of payment and I have never hidden the fact that I had a driving offence which was a fine and points on my licence in the UK, these have long gone. Can this effect my application and why are the visa office requesting these details after my application has been with them for 9 months.

Thanks

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
Depends on the offence - if it was a speeding ticket or a parking ticket, they're probably just making sure you've satisfied the conditions of your ticket . . . although I'm not sure why they'd care, unless they're trying to verify that it wasn't a driving under the influence type offence - which would make you inadmissible to Canada. Considering the delays in processing your application, it sounds as though the IO may be suspicious about something concerning this offence. You should order your CAIPS notes to see if you can get some indication of what's going on.

Taffy

Sep 24, 2007
Thanks Robsluv,

It was not a drink driving offence or substance offence it was failing to report and accident after I hit a concrete bollard petty I know but there we are, In February 2008 they contacted us to say that they received our CSQ from Quebec and that they had 60 days to request further information, that never happened then in July I contacted the visa office to see what was going on as I am pregnant and my medical runs out and also there is the time limit to fly and thats when they requested receipt of payment of fine from 12 years which I sent. We have so much to do but we are in limbo I was told because I contacted them they probably put my file to the bottom of the file. So will this go against me I was young then and it was such a long time ago.

Taffy

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
First of all, no your file was not put at the bottom of the pile because you contacted them. Secondly, you were not convicted of any crime, therefore you're not criminally inadmissible to Canada. I'd suggest that you order your CAIPS notes - it will take at least a month to get them, but at least it's something with some information to it when you're running up against a concrete wall (pardon the pun) otherwise.

rgvinson777

Dec 12, 2007
Your traffic ticket is classified as a summary offence in Canada. Canadian regulations stipulate that though summary offences can constitute inadmissability, two offences having been resolved at a minimum of 5 years prior to your application for permanent residence, are deemed to be automatically rehabilitated. Immigration has no justifiable reason to refuse you a PR visa on the offence you described. However, the instructions given to immigration officers 'strongly' suggest that they not rely on an applicant's statement of events but that they assess the matter themselves by looking at records and/or contacting the agency where the offence was administered.

It is easy to imagine, with all of the mystery we applicants are left with concerning our efforts to immigrate to Canada, that there might be some uncaring and perhaps evil force lurking behind the immigration scenes, waiting to punish us for bothering them. I don't think so! Where there is mystery, rumors fly.

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
rgvinson777 said:
Your traffic ticket is classified as a summary offence in Canada. Canadian regulations stipulate that though summary offences can constitute inadmissability, two offences having been resolved at a minimum of 5 years prior to your application for permanent residence, are deemed to be automatically rehabilitated. Immigration has no justifiable reason to refuse you a PR visa on the offence you described. However, the instructions given to immigration officers 'strongly' suggest that they not rely on an applicant's statement of events but that they assess the matter themselves by looking at records and/or contacting the agency where the offence was administered.

It is easy to imagine, with all of the mystery we applicants are left with concerning our efforts to immigrate to Canada, that there might be some uncaring and perhaps evil force lurking behind the immigration scenes, waiting to punish us for bothering them. I don't think so! Where there is mystery, rumors fly.
The problem is that it seems the IOs that assess PR applications are not always willing to accept that someone is "automatically deemed rehabilitated" and, in fact, there is really nothing in the processing manuals pertaining to criminal inadmissibility that says anything about an "automatic" rehabilitation status. I've seen people who've written that their PR applications were refused over offences that were resolved over 30 years ago. That's why it's always my advice that, if you have any sort of criminal conviction, you consult a qualified immigration attorney about how to put your "best foot forward" before you file that PR ap.

rgvinson777

Dec 12, 2007
OP Manuals do state and actually use the phrase "automatically deemed admissible." I'll look it up again tomorrow and post the url here.

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
I searched all the processing manuals and guides for the family class process, and several mention that a person may be "deemed to have been rehabilitated" if they meet certain criteria. But it's deliberately vague - and dependent on the type of offence, what the sentence would have been had the offence been committed in Canada, the length of time since all restitution was made, etc. Putting a past criminal conviction before an IO who is processing your PR application puts them in the position of having to make a complete assessment of all of the details of the offence, etc., and it can, at the very least, delay processing significantly

I know - I've been through this. It took them 9 months to evaluate my application because of my non-accompanying son's offence . . . and you know what, even though the processing manuals (and even the IRPA & Regulations) are very specific about the circumstances under which an applicant is inadmissible concerning an inadmissible, non-accompanying family member (and I didn't fall under those circumstances), the IO found me inadmissible anyway and refused our ap. That's proof enough that the IOs don't have to follow what's in the processing manuals (or even what's in the Act & Regulations) if they're not comfortable making that decision. The IO is the final word - and nobody reviews their decision. If they don't want to make a positive decision, they simply refuse the ap and force it into appeal so that someone else has that responsiblity. And I'm going to tell you - the appeal process is long, complicated, expensive and as much of a joke as the application process can be. Do everything you can do to NOT end up in appeal. Get advice before you file that application - an hour's consultation with a qualified attorney who knows how to evaluate whether you're providing sufficient evidence of your eligibility to be deemed rehabilitated is well worth not having to go through what we're going through right now!

I'm not saying you have to have an attorney do your application - just talk to someone who knows what they're doing . . . and realize it's still going to be the "luck of the draw" when it comes to which IO you get and how comfortable they are with making that decision. That's the problem - and it's why you have to be sure that you've provided everything you can to try to ensure a positive outcome. Once they make a decision, it can only be overturned in appeal . . . and even though everybody makes "the right of appeal" sound like a positive thing, they have no idea unless they've actually been through it. I participate in a thread on another forum with a bunch of people who are in appeal. The thread has been going on since March 2007. Some of the people posting had their appeals allowed close to a year ago - and yet not a single person has received their PR visa. The problem is that, once the appeal is allowed, the application goes back to the original visa office for re-processing, and even though allowed appeals are supposed to receive priority processing, they have a tendency to fall into a deep, dark hole and disappear. Surprising? Not really, considering.