+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can a certified translator from Canada provide a certified true copy?

breezy15

Aug 23, 2018
So confused. I'm getting a certified translator from Canada to translate my husband's birth certificate from Hindi to English. I understand that we don't need an affidavit as this is a certified translator from Canada. Then, I was thinking that the translator could provide us of a certified true copy of the birth certificate as it says on the website this:

If the translation isn’t done by a member in good standing of a provincial or territorial organization of translators and interpreters in Canada, you must submit an affidavit swearing to the accuracy of the translation and the language proficiency of the translator. A certified translator will provide both a certified translation and certified copies of the original documents.

Who can certify copies?
Persons authorized to certify copies include the following:

In Canada:
  • a notary public
  • a commissioner of oaths
  • a commissioner of taking affidavits
So can the certified translator from Canada provide a certified true copy? Or it needs to be done by a notary?

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
Translation of documents
You must send the following for any document that is not in English or French, unless otherwise stated on your document checklist:
  • the English or French translation; and
  • an affidavit from the person who completed the translation (see below for details); and
  • a certified copy of the original document.

Who can certify copies?

In Canada:
  • a notary public

The certified translator should provide the affidavit for completing the translation and not to certify a copy of the document.

A certified translator from Canada cannot provide a certified copy........you should go to a notary public if you are in Canada.

breezy15

Aug 23, 2018
Translation of documents
You must send the following for any document that is not in English or French, unless otherwise stated on your document checklist:
  • the English or French translation; and
  • an affidavit from the person who completed the translation (see below for details); and
  • a certified copy of the original document.

Who can certify copies?

In Canada:
  • a notary public

The certified translator should provide the affidavit for completing the translation and not to certify a copy of the document.

A certified translator from Canada cannot provide a certified copy........you should go to a notary public if you are in Canada.
Hello Wakki thank you for your response. If the translator is certified from Canada he/she does not need to provide an affidavit, Just a certified translation. The person should be an authorized person (could be an accountant, doctor, etc.) https://www.immigroup.com/news/what-are-certified-copies just wondering if a certified translator from Canada would be considered an "authorized person"... guess not?

ovling

Mar 10, 2018
I have one question: to get a certified translation I send scanned copies to translation agency and receive all documents by mail (with their stamps). Translation is accompanied by scanned copy of the document with a stamp from the agency. With your package did you attach translation and a certified copy as two separate documents or a certified copy was part of the translation package?
I mean did you sent certified copy to the translation agency so translation was based on a certified copy that was later attached to the package from translation agency?

Thank you very much,
Sergiy

breezy15

Aug 23, 2018
I have one question: to get a certified translation I send scanned copies to translation agency and receive all documents by mail (with their stamps). Translation is accompanied by scanned copy of the document with a stamp from the agency. With your package did you attach translation and a certified copy as two separate documents or a certified copy was part of the translation package?
I mean did you sent certified copy to the translation agency so translation was based on a certified copy that was later attached to the package from translation agency?

Thank you very much,
Sergiy
Hi Sergiy,

I did not receive my package yet but what I know is that you have a certified translation along with a photocopy of the original birth certificate (stamped). You cannot get a certified TRUE copy if the translator did not see the original document. That's what makes it complicated. Scan is not enough. If you want an example I can send you one by email.

Reactions: marunine281

canada&back

Dec 20, 2018
@breezy15 @ovling @Wakki

Need your advise on this:
I got a document translated by a certified translator in Canada. Therefore, an affidavit is not provided by him as also mention on IRCC website. Now, the translator sent me the translations (stamped and certified) alongwith a black and white copy of the original which has a the translators stamp as well. Since a translator cannot certify a copy, I got certified true copies of the original from a notary. I therefore uploaded the original+ english translation (stamped and certified)+ notarized true copy of the original. My question is, do I also need to upload the stamped copy of the original (in black and white) that was provided to me by the translator for each of the translations? I'm super confused!! Should I raise a CSE and request to amend my documents as: original+certified translation+stamped copy of original provided by the translator+notarized true copy? I just submitted my eAPR and would like to raise a CSE, if necessary.

breezy15

Aug 23, 2018
@breezy15 @ovling @Wakki

I got a document translated by a certified translator in Canada. Therefore, an affidavit is not provided by him as also mention on IRCC website. Now, the translator sent me the translations (stamped and certified) alongwith a black and white copy of the original which has a the translators stamp as well. Since a translator cannot certify a copy, I got certified true copies of the original from a notary. I therefore uploaded the original+ english translation (stamped and certified)+ notarized true copy of the original. My question is, do I also need to upload the stamped copy of the original (in black and white) that was provided to me by the translator for each of the translations? I'm super confused!! Should I raise a CSE and request to amend my documents as: original+certified translation+stamped copy of original provided by the translator+notarized true copy? I just submitted my eAPR and would like to raise a CSE, if necessary.
Since your uploading it, no need to upload that black and white copy of the original with the translators stamp! It just shows that the english translations were of that document but it would be pretty obvious already. It's your choice if you want to but I was just fine and I uploaded exactly like you original+ english translation (stamped and certified)+ notarized true copy of the original

I would upload it anyway though!

breezy15

Aug 23, 2018
@breezy15 @ovling @Wakki

Since you already sent it don't worry about it.

Reactions: canada&back

Wedding Crasher

Jan 29, 2018
Thanks @breezy15!! That's really comforting. :)
@breezy15 @ovling @Wakki

Hi. I also used an online translator service in Canada, but they didn't provide a notarized copy of the original. I already submitted my application and this got me worried.

Reactions: mapple007

UmairS

Star Member
Mar 22, 2018
Hi Sergiy,

I did not receive my package yet but what I know is that you have a certified translation along with a photocopy of the original birth certificate (stamped). You cannot get a certified TRUE copy if the translator did not see the original document. That's what makes it complicated. Scan is not enough. If you want an example I can send you one by email.
Hello Breezy15

Can you plz tell me what worked for you in this case