+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Buying a house - Advice please :)

FletcherHubbard

Star Member
Nov 20, 2023
My husband has house fever and has pre-qualified for a mortgage based on his income alone. I don't have a SIN, so far as I know, I can't be on the mortgage (but I could be wrong - although I would be useless - no job either.)

As you may know, I'm American and clueless about what we would need to do to buy a house in Canada. My husband is equally clueless, although he's Canadian :D

I know minimum downpayment is 5%, 20% or more to avoid the extra insurance. Does anyone know the cost of the insurance?

What are Closing costs? - As in, what percentage of the sale and/or flat fee are they?

Do you need to pay the realtor earnest money? What is normal in Canada? Does the earnest money go towards the commission at the end of sale?

Can the commission come out of the mortgage funds or must that be money already in the bank?

Does property tax come built into the mortgage - where you pay a little extra monthly and the bank makes a payment to CRA for you at year end?
Nox Vidmate VLC
What percentage is commission for a realtor?

Are there any extra fees/costs that I didn't mention? Title transfer, etc? Also, my husband wants to meet a mortgage broker. Do they charge any fees? What in the world is a mortgage broker? In the USA, we just go to our bank and see what we can qualify for - then try another bank if we don't like the answer!

I don't need hard numbers, just rough estimates. Oh, and you can be a dismal as you like. I'm trying to convince him to wait until I have a job so we can get something better than a shack. Thanks! :)
You don't need a SIN. You can get TTN (temporary tax number) from the CRA though. It replace the SIN until you get PR.

Last edited: