+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

British citizen with Canadian spouse - Couple of questions

MarkBrianne

Jun 25, 2013
Hi, My wife and I are in the process of filling in forms and collecting evidence of our relationship with dates, times, photos etc so we can get the ball rolling and send them off.
I have some questions, obviously there's no guaranteed answers, so I'm asking for the average outcome.

We are filing outside Canada.

We are both currently living in the UK, my Canadian wife works in the UK but will be returning as her work visa will expire shortly and she isn't going to renew it as we decided to hopefully live in Canada.

1, I'm British, English born and bred and can freely enter Canada upto 6 months at a time. What are the chances they will require my physical passport during the Sponsor PR process? Why would they? I ask as I will be spending most of my time in Canada. Of course I can mail the passport to them, my concern is not having my passport for X-time in-case I need it to leave the country etc.

2, What are the chances of being interviewed? We are married and have lots of pictures of the ceremony, dates and places we've been together and proof of flights etc. Photocopies of many cards offering celebrations, best wishes etc for our wedding. Also many pictures of our first date to till now. Employment offer of work in Canada for my wife and a letter of a place to stay until we find our own feet. Print screen pictures of Facebook dates, comments and likes on various events etc we've written about in the forms to back up the information.

3, Lastly, we hope we can do a medical exam at a later date and have them ask for it. Is this okay to do, I understand it'll slow the process but our schedule is extremely busy in the UK before going to Canada shortly. I also understand, the exam is cheaper in Canada than it is here in the UK. Also due to strikes, I'd be very upset if I spent the £200-£300 or whatever it is for a medical and it expire before being approved PR!

Many thanks in advance for your replies

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
1 - none. :) or almost! visa-exempt applicants going through London don't have to send their passport, London issues the COPR at the end of the process and sends it to wherever the person is - Canada or the UK.

2 - very low. Most visa-exempt applicants don't get an interview, especially if you have a straightforward case ( married, living together etc.).

3 - I really wouldn't advise it. CIC might decide that your application is not complete and send it back. It's best to do it right away. Most people in London get done under 1 year, and CIC can extend the medicals if it's the only thing preventing them to issue the visa and it has been done within the last 15 months.

Good luck,
Sweden

HeliKev

Jul 4, 2013
Hi I have just been advised by email that my CoPR is ready for issue and the information will be posted to my UK adress. I am currently in Canada and using my passport . Can anyone advise of the process going forward? Namely:
1 do London Uk request passports to issue the visa?

2 If so how long do they take and hold the passport?

3 I will be in the UK from 18th July for two weeks and will need my passport. What other options are there if any or should i make provision to remain in the UK/ go early?

Many thanks

Kevin

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
HeliKev said:
Hi I have just been advised by email that my CoPR is ready for issue and the information will be posted to my UK adress. I am currently in Canada and using my passport . Can anyone advise of the process going forward? Namely:
1 do London Uk request passports to issue the visa?

2 If so how long do they take and hold the passport?

3 I will be in the UK from 18th July for two weeks and will need my passport. What other options are there if any or should i make provision to remain in the UK/ go early?

Many thanks

Kevin
are you from the UK, or any visa-exempt country? if yes, then they won't request your passport. They will just send the COPR to your address, and you can just pick it up and go to Canada to land.
If you're not from the UK ( resident there, but from a non-visa-exempt country), then you probably will get a passport request, and you can inform London that you will be able to give them the passport at that point - try and see with them if you can drop it off and get it back in person a few days after, depending on your timeline.
Sweden