+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bringing USA Girlfriend to Canada Permenantly

krome

Sep 14, 2013
Hey all.

Looking to have my long distance Girlfriend move from the USA to Canada. We are looking at ways to have her in the Country for a period of 12 months so that I can sponsor as a common-law.

I am aware she can obtain a 6 month visitors stay in Canada and I have read a few things about having that extended.

Is this a viable method of having her allowed to stay in Canada continuously for 12 months so that we can meet the common law requirement?

As a US Citizen, is she required to obtain a visitor visa to do this? I know the USA is exempt from that, but in terms of obtaining 6 months with the intention of aiming to have it extended another 6 months.... or moreso if possible

We are planning to make the move for her at the end of September 2013

Thank you

Additional suggestions are welcome. Marriage is not an option at this time.

O_guy

Aug 11, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Another person on his forum recently asked if his girlfriend who is in Canada on visitor visa can extent her visa and say he reason is to explore a relationship. I personally thought that was a red flag for CIC since there have been foreigners coming to Canada in the last in visitor visa and then attempting to gain permanent Recidence through fake relationship with Canadaian citizen. However, some folks in this forum said CIC has previously granted visitor visa extension to "explore a relationship".

Since marriage is mot an option for you, i don't see any other option other than your current plan. The good thing about your situation is that your girlfriend is American and probably won't have much difficulty with CIC as other nationals would.

krome

Sep 14, 2013
Thank you for the prompt response.

So obtaining an initial six month visitors pass and then trying to extend it is probably the best route.

Would it be better to extend it for other reasons instead of the relationship aspect.

Thank you for the assistance

O_guy

Aug 11, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think honesty is the best policy. And like I said, she is American. I don't think she will have any difficulty getting the original 6-month stay and extending that while telling the truth about her reason for staying longer. Also, if she applies for the extension saying she wants to further explore her relationship with a Canadian man, CIC will not say she lied when she applies for the common-law sponsorship.

Yes, foreigners have entered into fake relationships with Canadians in order to get PR. You can use Google to find news articles of Canadians complaining how thier foreign spouse left them immidiately after getting PR. But those are people from third world countries or East Europe. They are not Americans. CIC looks harder at certain nationalities. Your girlfriend is American, so you do not need to worry. But know that when she applies to extend her visa, she will have to prove that she can financially sustain herself for that length of time in Canada. If she says she is living with you, then include letter of employment showing your salary wih that application. Same goes for the sponsorship. You can even purchase health insurance for her and include photocopy of it to the application to CIC.

Good luck.