+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bringing my son's newly married wife to Canada

day13g52

Oct 1, 2017
Hello experts (Leon, Steaky & others)

My son is a Canadian citizen and everything is set for him to get married to his girlfriend in July 2019 at his ex-home country, Sri Lanka. (I am writing on behalf of him)

My son wants to bring his wife as quickly as possible to Canada after getting married in July 2019. e understand that it's not that easy after reading many posts on this forum.

a) They will get married in July 2019 in Sri Lanka and the marriage certificate will only be available on that time.
b) My son's wife has not travelled outside Sri lanka to date. She is a graduate from a private university and has sufficient IELTS score to apply for studies in Canada.

We are in a dilemma as to what's the best route to get her down in Canada ASAP after their wedding.

Can you please advise the following.

1) Is applying a visitor visa for her advisable before marriage?
2)What are her chances for being approved for a visitor visa?
3) If she is successful in securing a visitor visa, can she come to Canada with my son just after their marriage and apply for PR as an INLAND application while being in Canada? Is this advisable, considering the visitor visa is generally valid for 6 months at any given visit?

2) After reading the posts on this forum we understand that applying for PR for her (after the marriage) as a OUTLAND application is the quickest option to get her the PR. The application has to be submitted by my son (Canadian citizen) after he travels to Canada. Is that right?

3) Or can he send the application by courier to Missisauga address from Sri Lanka?

4) Assuming there are no issues with the application, the PR visa of my son's wife will be processed in about 6 months for an OUTLAND application? Am I correct?

5) What are her chances to apply for a student visa now (before marriage in July 2019) to enter a Canadian College/ university for September 2019 intake? Then can she travel on that visa and apply for PR as an INLAND application as by that time she is a married person.

I thank you all in advance.

Regards

Day13g52

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
1 & 2. she can apply for visitor visa before marriage but chances of approval is low except she can show very strong ties to Sri Lanka.

3. Yes...if TRV is approved....she can come with your son and apply inland sponsorship....and apply for visitor visa extension for safety until AOR for sponsorship application.

3. Spousal Sponsorship application package can be sent from anywhere.....just need to ensure the required documents according to the checklist is complete is mailed or courier to the right IRCC address.....refer ....checklist.

4. Outland and Inland Spousal Sponsorship takes around 12 months to complete processing.

5. She can apply for student visa but has to convince the visa officer to be approved. if approved she will pay high international student fees and be able to enter Canada and if later married apply for inland sponsorship..

its up to you if you want to apply for student visa or visitor visa before marriage or wait until after marriage then sponsorship.

Get your checklist, forms and instructions