+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bridging work permit rejected vs refused?

AgurBadur

Jul 25, 2016
Hi. I have a question about implied status and bridging work permit. Say your work permit is about to expire and you send in an application for bridging work permit. It then takes them couple month to start reviewing it. I read on the cic website that there are three outcomes:

1. Extension approved - you just continue working. No problem with this one.
2. Application refused - your implied status was extended until the desision to refuse was rendered and now you either have to leave or apply for the restoration of status. Okay, seems straight forward as well.
3. Application rejected as incomplete - application returned and it is assumed that you never submitted the application. The implied status was never ganted... So does that mean that you were illegaly staying and working/studying past your due date potentially for months?

Also, what is the difference between rejection and refusal. Under what circumstances they would reject as incomplete and when would they refuse?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Applications are rejected when they are submitted as incomplete. This means (for example) that if you don't yet have AOR but submit the BOWP all the same - the application would be rejected as incomplete. Yes - if your application is rejected, this will mean that you don't have implied status and will have been working in Canada illegally. My assumption is that CIC has put in this rule since too many people were applying for BOWPs before they qualified to try to buy more time in Canada working under implied status. The new rules mean this is no longer possible.

natdn

May 8, 2014
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-08-2016
Doc's Request.
10-01-2017
Nomination.....
25-07-2016
AOR Received.
29-11-2016
scylla said:
Applications are rejected when they are submitted as incomplete. This means (for example) that if you don't yet have AOR but submit the BOWP all the same - the application would be rejected as incomplete. Yes - if your application is rejected, this will mean that you don't have implied status and will have been working in Canada illegally. My assumption is that CIC has put in this rule since too many people were applying for BOWPs before they qualified to try to buy more time in Canada working under implied status. The new rules mean this is no longer possible.
Hello Scylla,

I have the similar Case ... I submitted my PR application - Provincial Nominee Class on August 10th 2016 and still yet to get AOR ... My Open Work permit is getting expired on October 6th. I have Ontario PNP nomination...

Would i be getting bridging work permit if i apply ? your thoughts please

Thanks

Hillary B

Feb 20, 2013
natdn said:
Hello Scylla,

I have the similar Case ... I submitted my PR application - Provincial Nominee Class on August 10th 2016 and still yet to get AOR ... My Open Work permit is getting expired on October 6th. I have Ontario PNP nomination...

Thanks

You can, but need to wait for an AOR from cic for you to be qualified for BOWP.

natdn

May 8, 2014
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-08-2016
Doc's Request.
10-01-2017
Nomination.....
25-07-2016
AOR Received.
29-11-2016
Hillary B said:
natdn said:
Hello Scylla,

Thanks

You can, but need to wait for an AOR from cic for you to be qualified for BOWP.

CIC takes 2-3 months for sending AOR ... Before that my permit will expire :)

I have applied for the extension or Bridging work permit with the Explanation letter ... Lets see what they say ...

Thanks for your reply