+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

bridging open work permit

come4all

Feb 20, 2020
hello everyone,

thanks in advance for all the help you're providing.

I have a question about BOWP. I have created my express entry but my points will is not enough yet. to let you know about my situation, I have 1 year of Canadian work experience in NOC B and I will reach 2 years of work experience in June 2021 but my OWP will expire in May 2021. I wanted to see whether I can apply for BOWP even if I haven't been issued an ITA.

thank you.

happy thanksgiving.

regards,
Amin

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
No, you need to apply for PR before you're eligible for a BOWP. If you want to continue working past May 2021 you will need to find an employer willing to sponsor you for a closed work permit with an LMIA or qualify for some other form of open or LMIA-exempt work permit.

come4all

Feb 20, 2020
thank you for your reply.

so, I should wait till I receive the ITA and apply until I am eligible for BOWP. I am not sure if my company has LMIA. I will find out.

thank you.
Amin

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
You're not eligible to apply for a BOWP if you don't hold a valid work permit. You need to stop working in May and leave Canada or change your status to visitor, unless your employer is willing to apply for an LMIA or you are somehow exempt.