+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bridging open work permit

bruce2011

Dec 7, 2018
If someone is waiting for the Express Entry result and her post graduate work permit is about to expire in 5 months while not having a job in Canada,Would getting a job in NOC C category (for example sales jobs) make her eligible to apply for a "Bridging Open Work Permit" hence having a legal status after the expiration of her Post Graduate Work Permit?

Thanks in advance

King.bill

Star Member
Dec 6, 2018
If someone is waiting for the Express Entry result and her post graduate work permit is about to expire in 5 months while not having a job in Canada,Would getting a job in NOC C category (for example sales jobs) make her eligible to apply for a "Bridging Open Work Permit" hence having a legal status after the expiration of her Post Graduate Work Permit?

Thanks in advance
You can only apply for a BOWP if your PR Application is in progress.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/extend-permit/bridging-open-work-permit.html

I don't think having a job makes any difference.

bruce2011

Dec 7, 2018
You can only apply for a BOWP if your PR Application is in progress.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/extend-permit/bridging-open-work-permit.html

I don't think having a job makes any difference.
Here's what the official website reads:
"This type of work permit lets you keep working while you wait for the results of your permanent residence application."

My question is,what if the person in question has no job.Will she still be eligible to apply for BOWP ?

King.bill

Star Member
Dec 6, 2018
Here's what the official website reads:
"This type of work permit lets you keep working while you wait for the results of your permanent residence application."

My question is,what if the person in question has no job.Will she still be eligible to apply for BOWP ?
Your intial question said "waiting on Express entry results" which means waiting on ITA?
A job offer or active emplpyment is not needed to apply for BOWP since it's an open work permit.