+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bridging Open Work Permit

TravisK

Aug 24, 2016
Hi there!

Some background. I have sent in my application for outland spousal sponsorship from the US (my wife is a canadian permanent resident) but have not yet recieved AOR1. I have recieved an invitation to apply for express entry under the canadian experience class.

I currently have a valid work permit for work I am performing for my employer in Canada. This work is based out of Montreal, but is somewhat tied to work in the Northwest Territories. I have an offer for work in BC with my same employer; I plan on living in BC as that is where my wife and I currently reside. My employer does not believe it would be advisable to apply for a new work permit when my current one expires as it may result in the officer believing I have "dual intent". So:

I have all the necessary documents required for the EE application already, as I completed the spousal sponsorship application. I would then be eligible for a bridging open work permit as my EE application is decided. My closed work permit expires in March of 2017, so soon it will be within 4 months.

My question here is: In order to apply for the Express Entry application, I have to submit the $490 right of permanent residence fee. Since I have already paid this for the spousal application, would I have to pay it again?

Are there any other fees associated with this application?

Thanks!

adaytoremember

Sep 18, 2014
I'm fairly certain that yes, you're on the hook for another $490 as the applications are completely independent of one another, in two different streams (economic and family).

Actually, I just reread that and you're talking about RPRF, not the application fee, which is what I incorrectly assumed. It would make sense that the RPRF only needs to be paid once, for whichever application ends up being used for your PR, but maybe in this case it's best to pay both and get the other RPRF refunded?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
TravisK said:
My employer does not believe it would be advisable to apply for a new work permit when my current one expires as it may result in the officer believing I have "dual intent".

And what exactly is wrong with "dual intent" ? Your employer is wrong to "fear" this.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/visa/dual.asp

I have all the necessary documents required for the EE application already, as I completed the spousal sponsorship application. I would then be eligible for a bridging open work permit as my EE application is decided.

Sort of - you would be eligible to apply for the BOWP as soon as you submit the CEC application (as long as you still have a valid work permit, and it is due to expire within 4 months). For the BOWP to be approved, you have to pass the completeness review and have the application put into processing. That is not the same as being "decided" - the final decision comes later.

My question here is: In order to apply for the Express Entry application, I have to submit the $490 right of permanent residence fee. Since I have already paid this for the spousal application, would I have to pay it again?

Are there any other fees associated with this application?

I assume you mean the CEC application; there is the application fee, and the right of permanent residence fee (RPRF). Is the RPRF asked up front now? If so, I would go ahead and pay it again, but if one application is approved, you would then withdraw the other, and be eligible for a refund of the RPRF only (not the application fee).