+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bridging Open Work Permit HELP ASAP

kasey1

Aug 31, 2016
Hello, I have applied for Common Law family sponsorship and the application has been received. They have also asked for police certificates which have been received.

What I am needing help with is the Bridging Open Work Permit. My current visa (working holiday visa) expires 30 June, and the PR status may not come in until January 2017 (the 12 month processing time they advise).

Do I receive any sort of letter or notification that I have changed to the Bridging Open Work Permit when my current visa expires, or is it just implied and I have no proof?

I am needing to travel for work in JULY so need to know if I can leave/get back in the country! Thank you! :)

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
kasey1 said:
Hello, I have applied for Common Law family sponsorship and the application has been received. They have also asked for police certificates which have been received.

What I am needing help with is the Bridging Open Work Permit. My current visa (working holiday visa) expires 30 June, and the PR status may not come in until January 2017 (the 12 month processing time they advise).

Do I receive any sort of letter or notification that I have changed to the Bridging Open Work Permit when my current visa expires, or is it just implied and I have no proof?

I am needing to travel for work in JULY so need to know if I can leave/get back in the country!
Hi

Did you apply inland or outland?

If you applied inland, you can apply for an OWP. This is not a Bridging Open Work Permit, which is specific to economic applicants. It takes 4 months to recieve the OWP. You are not allowed to work in between expiry of your current IEC permit and when you receive the OWP.

If you applied outland, you can't apply for an OWP and will need to wait for PR.

kasey1

Aug 31, 2016
Hello, I applied on the new system released 15 Dec which there is only one application method, no longer an inland/outland option.

The PR application along with the OWP application were mailed in the same envelope to CIC in Mississauga, as the instructions told us to.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
kasey1 said:
Hello, I applied on the new system released 15 Dec which there is only one application method, no longer an inland/outland option.

The PR application along with the OWP application were mailed in the same envelope to CIC in Mississauga, as the instructions told us to.
There is still outland and inland. You can only apply for the OWP if you submitted the "in Canada" application so both of you are currently residing in Canada.

Where did you mail the app to? This will also confirm which method you used:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5525ETOC.asp
Application for spouses, common-law partners or conjugal partners and dependent children (currently living outside Canada):
CPC Mississauga
P.O. Box 3000, Station A
Mississauga, ON
L5A 4N6
Note: Your spouse or common-law partner may be living in Canada with you, but if he or she doesn’t plan to stay in Canada while the application is being processed, choose this option.

or

Application for spouses or common-law partners (currently living in Canada) applying under the Spouse or Common-Law Partner in Canada Class:
CPC-Mississauga
P.O. Box 5040, Station B
Mississauga, ON
L5A 3A4

As mentioned above, there is no such thing as a bridging work permit for IEC. If you applied in-Canada with OWP app, you should get the OWP sometime around 4 months later. If your IEC expires before getting the OWP, you are supposed to stop working and only start working again once the OWP arrives.

Hopefully your trip in July is not a long one, since an extended stay (like months or longer) outside Canada could cause IRCC to feel you're no longer residing here, and have grounds to cancel the PR app. Also even though the risk is low, if CBSA ever denied you re-entry back into Canada your in-Canada app would also be cancelled.