+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bridging Open work permit for Provincial Nominees

gilljags85

Oct 13, 2016
My IEC work permit expires on 8th Dec, 2016
I applied for PR in Nov 2015 and processing for my application started in Feb 2016.

I want to extend my work permit now as I haven't got my PR yet.

I would like to apply for Bridging open work permit BOWP (I am a provincial nominee), since I am waiting for my PR. But the problem is that one of the conditions for Provincial nominees applying for BOWP according to the CIC website is the following :

" Foreign nationals in the Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) are eligible for a BOWP only if they have provided a copy of the nomination letter issued by the nominating province or territory along with their application and there is no indication that employment restrictions exist as conditions of the nomination"

Now, my Provincial nomination letter has a column with Restrictions on Employment as YES.
Does it mean I can't apply for BWOP as it says Yes to restrictions on employment section? :eek: :eek:

Thanks

evanstp9

Nov 27, 2012
Yes, you cannot apply for BOWP, you are not eligible.
Fortunately, there is another option for Provincial Nominees, see here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/work/opinion/territories-provinces.asp, section "Foreign workers nominated by a province or territory".

If you have "Yes" under employment restrictions, it means you can get a work permit, but tied to the employer on the nomination certificate, closed work permit that is, but LMIA exempt.

evanstp9

Nov 27, 2012
Not really, in the sense that immigration is always complicated, to an extent.. The link I sent before has all the info that is required to be submitted in such cases.
I would suggest to follow this guide and gather those documents (some you probably have already) if you want to extend your work permit.

If you still it's too complex, there is always the option to hire a professional and get guidance/assistance in this application, that is if you definitely want to extend your work permit. Otherwise, you can try and extend your status as a visitor, if you want to stay here when the application is being processed.

gilljags85

Oct 13, 2016
Thanks. I've emailed my employer if they'll do that thing plus my province of nomination if they can send me that letter. If they do, it's cool, otherwise i gotta go back as i don't want to stay on visitor visa as i can't work then plus don't know how long will the PR take, they started processing my application in feb 2016. Only if there was a way to know how long it will take. :(