+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bridging Open Work Permit - CEC PR Application

ken17

Feb 11, 2019
Hey there,

I will be applying for my PR under the CEC Express Entry Program - now I will complete my one year of full time work in the same week my visa expires.

I heard that you can only apply for a bridging open work permit if you still have your current work status in canada after you applied for your PR. Cause I can only apply in the last week of my current work permit I feel like it is not enough time to apply for a Bridging Open work permit cause I still need to receive a invitation to apply once I entered the pool, am I right?

Thanks for your answers

EE12345

Star Member
Jun 22, 2019
Hey there,

I will be applying for my PR under the CEC Express Entry Program - now I will complete my one year of full time work in the same week my visa expires.

I heard that you can only apply for a bridging open work permit if you still have your current work status in canada after you applied for your PR. Cause I can only apply in the last week of my current work permit I feel like it is not enough time to apply for a Bridging Open work permit cause I still need to receive a invitation to apply once I entered the pool, am I right?

Thanks for your answers
Yes, you seem right. You can apply for work permit extension at the moment, I think.

You would be eligible for BOWP after AOR I believe.

Last edited:

hgunawa

Jan 8, 2017
Nope, you are not eligible for bowp after ita. ITA means nothing from an immigration stand point.

You are only eligible to apply for bowp after you submit your complete PR application.

So you have to recieve an ita, submit your pr application, recieve Acknowledge of reciept which then has to be attached to your bowp for it to be considered for processing.
All of this has to be done whilst your work permit has validity.

Reactions: EE12345

EE12345

Star Member
Jun 22, 2019
Nope, you are not eligible for bowp after ita. ITA means nothing from an immigration stand point.

You are only eligible to apply for bowp after you submit your complete PR application.

So you have to recieve an ita, submit your pr application, recieve Acknowledge of reciept which then has to be attached to your bowp for it to be considered for processing.
All of this has to be done whilst your work permit has validity.
Yes, you are right. Sorry I meant AOR and not ITA. I will edit or delete my past post. Thank you for pointing out.

ken17

Feb 11, 2019
So cause I can't apply for CEC before I have completed my full year of full time work I would have to go back to visitors status until I hear back about my PR application?

EE12345

Star Member
Jun 22, 2019
So cause I can't apply for CEC before I have completed my full year of full time work I would have to go back to visitors status until I hear back about my PR application?
If you go to visitor status, you may not be eligible to work.
According to me, you can try applying for WP extension. That will give you 'implied status' and you can keep working. The current processing times for WP extensions are about 3 months. So you get that additional time.

ken17

Feb 11, 2019
If you go to visitor status, you may not be eligible to work.
According to me, you can try applying for WP extension. That will give you 'implied status' and you can keep working. The current processing times for WP extensions are about 3 months. So you get that additional time.
I am on an IEC Visa right now that can not be extend. That's the problem