+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bridging IEC to common-law visa

llaar

Jul 28, 2017
Hi,

I've been reading a lot of information and with everything I read I became a little bit more confused.

I was in Canada on an IEC visa from may 2014 to may 2015 and met my current boyfriend in April of 2015 in Yellowknife. After my visa expired I visited with my boyfriend for a month and after that traveled for 6 months before coming back for the month of December 2015. After that I went back to the Netherlands and worked at home before being approved for a new IEC visa (miracle) and moving in permanently with my boyfriend from the 1st of December of 2016.

My situation now is this I have been living with my boyfriend and paying him rent since the 1st of December. I have been with the same employer as a Restaurant, Lounge & Banquet server since the 6th of January. I just did my CELPIP exam and am expecting the results any day now. I would like to get a new workpermit to bridge the gap between my IEC and the approval of an open work permit in combination with the common-law sponsorship.

I just don't know how to start. Should I try and see if my employer can sponsor me as a temporary foreign worker? or should I apply for the PNP and ask my employer to sponsor that? I feel like my job title doesn't fall in the PNP class. Should I see if my boyfriend can sponsor me as a friend for the PNP program. What would be the best route.