+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

boyfriend permanent residency, help!

Feb 11, 2010
ok so here is our situation my boyfriend and i met on the internet when we were 13 we were friends and penpals throughout that time. as with many of my firends after highschool we stopped chatting. last year he found me on face book and i guess we kind of saw eachother in a whole new light and we've been dating since. we met in ontario last summer and spent a few weeks together. he is in university at penn state so he had to go back, i can deal with that i want him to finish school first. he stayed here for all of winter break and then had to go back again. applied for a job for the summer and got it but because it wasnt posted on an alberta website for six months prior they wont let him work. he needs to work as a requirement for school so he got a job in wyoming and we postponed our wedding plans since now we wont have lived together. he finishes school in may of 2011 after which we had originally planned on marrying but i'd settle just to have him here. can we be considered congenial partners? and can he go back and forth between canada and the us while his permanent residency is being processed? also what do i need to do to help get him here?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

megaawesomelady said:
ok so here is our situation my boyfriend and i met on the internet when we were 13 we were friends and penpals throughout that time. as with many of my firends after highschool we stopped chatting. last year he found me on face book and i guess we kind of saw eachother in a whole new light and we've been dating since. we met in ontario last summer and spent a few weeks together. he is in university at penn state so he had to go back, i can deal with that i want him to finish school first. he stayed here for all of winter break and then had to go back again. applied for a job for the summer and got it but because it wasnt posted on an alberta website for six months prior they wont let him work. he needs to work as a requirement for school so he got a job in wyoming and we postponed our wedding plans since now we wont have lived together. he finishes school in may of 2011 after which we had originally planned on marrying but i'd settle just to have him here. can we be considered congenial partners? and can he go back and forth between canada and the us while his permanent residency is being processed? also what do i need to do to help get him here?
1. You can be considered "congenial partners" (not an immigration category) but not conjugal partners, as it would appear there are no barriers to marriage or living together for 12 months to become common/law partners.
2. He could apply for a 6 months working holiday visa when he graduates, which would allow him to work in Canada for 6 months at any job.

PMM

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Get married to him and sponsor him for PR. He can visit Canada while his application is being processed although he could always be refused entry if they think he will overstay. It would take him around 6 months to get his PR and after that, he can come visit you any time without a worry and can work in Canada during his holidays from university and move to Canada without a problem when he has graduated.