+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Birth - Family class imigration

sehmeh

Dec 5, 2016
My wife will be getting family class immigration soon, she applied when she was single and after 7 years she is finally getting it. We have few question to ask:

i. For how many months the medical insurance is valid (once she has landed and applied for residency and medical insurance)??

ii. Can she travel to Canada if she is 6 month pregnant? Is there any restrictions for pregnant woman?

iii. If the baby is born there, does the kid get Canadian nationality?

Let us know if there any other thing that we are missing in our assumptions.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
make sure your wife adds you and the baby (if born before landing) to the application before she lands and officially becomes pr. if she lands as a single person and does not notify cic of changes to her family situation, she can be committing misrepresentation and will never be able to sponsor you or the child to come to canada.

1. health coverage is specific to the province she lives in. most provinces have a 90 day wait period before she can qualify for healthcare. if she becomes a PR, health care will be valid for as long as she maintains residency in that province. some people suggest getting travel insurance to cover you for basic expenses while waiting for healthcare to kick in. if she is pregnant before she lands, travel insurance will not cover the costs of prenatal care or delivery. she may need to pay for the delivery out of pocket if she does not get coverage before the baby is born.

2. i'd recommend talking to her doctor and seeing what the airlines requirements are. this is not something we may not be able to tell you. only the doctor and specific airline can tell you whether she will be cleared for travel. google may also provide insight to traveling while pregnant.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
CDNPR2014 said:
3. no, the baby will not be a canadian citizen because it is born in canada.
All babies born in Canada are Canadian citizens regardless if parents are visitors, PRs or citizens.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Rob_TO said:
All babies born in Canada are Canadian citizens regardless if parents are visitors, PRs or citizens.
oh really? i amended my answer to avoid confusion.

i didn't think canada had that rule? isn't this what they call in the US "anchor babies" and isn't this a distinct difference in us and canada citizenship rules?

i thought pr's who have babies in canada need to still sponsor them for pr?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
CDNPR2014 said:
i didn't think canada had that rule? isn't this what they call in the US "anchor babies" and isn't this a distinct difference in us and canada citizenship rules?

Any baby born in Canada, whether the parents are PRs, visitor, workers or illegal, is Canadian. The only exception is if neither parent is a citizen/PR AND one or both parents are working in Canada for a foreign government.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
sehmeh said:
My wife will be getting family class immigration soon, she applied when she was single and after 7 years she is finally getting it. We have few question to ask:
How is you wife getting PR? Has she been included as the dependent of her parents?

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
canuck_in_uk said:
Any baby born in Canada, whether the parents are PRs, visitor, workers or illegal, is Canadian. The only exception is if neither parent is a citizen/PR AND one or both parents are working in Canada for a foreign government.
got it thanks for the info. so if i understand correctly, if both parents are visitors, the baby will be a citizen and the only exception is if they work for the foreign government?

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Right. Any baby born in Canada is a Canadian citizen, automatically. So yes, there can be 'anchor babies'. The exception is if one parent is a diplomat or works for a foreign government in Canada, and the other parent is also not a PR or citizen - then the baby is not Canadian.

For the OP - are you a Canadian citizen or PR? Your wife should not be claiming to be single when she lands.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
CDNPR2014 said:
oh really? i amended my answer to avoid confusion.

They would only be "anchor babies" if having one granted some sort of immediate status to the parents. But it doesn't. So no real anchor. Best case scenario they might be able to sponsor their parents in about 21 years. That's not an anchor.

Babies born in the US are citizens at birth as well. Pretty much the same rule as Canada.

MilesAway

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-09-2014
Doc's Request.
09-04-2015
AOR Received.
12-11-2014
File Transfer...
30-10-2014
Med's Done....
26-08-2014
Passport Req..
23-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
07-05-2015
LANDED..........
04-06-2015
You mention that she applied when she was single. Has she updated her marital status with CIC?