+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Biometric Validity Extension

Edulima

May 24, 2023
My TRV is approved and Passport Request letter received.

I found on CIC that visa validity cannot exceed the validity of biometrics. I assume my TRV will only be valid until Nov 2025 (ten years from when I first gave my biometrics) - which is in 2 years from now. I will also have to submit my passport to VFS in order to get my visa stamp.

My questions are:

1) can I 'renew' my biometrics at VFS first, prior to passport submission, so the tourist visa is stamped for 10 years instead of just 2 more years until Nov 2025?
2) Would these new biometrics then be linked to my now-approved visa application?
3) How can I arrange this, if possible? Do I just make a regular biometrics appointment with VFS and tell them it's for an already-approved application?
4) Do I have to inform Canadian Immigration that I am doing this first?
5) Or is it too late to do the above, and I must get my stamp until Nov 2025, take biometrics again then reapply for another TRV at that time?

BA101

Champion Member
Nov 29, 2021
My TRV is approved and Passport Request letter received.

I found on CIC that visa validity cannot exceed the validity of bio metrics. I assume my TRV will only be valid until Nov 2025 (ten years from when I first gave my biometrics) - which is in 2 years from now. TRV is issued only till passport expiry. It has no connection with your biometric validity I will also have to submit my passport to VFS in order to get my visa stamp.

My questions are:

1) can I 'renew' my biometrics at VFS first, prior to passport submission, so the tourist visa is stamped for 10 years instead of just 2 more years until Nov 2025? TRV is issued only till passport expiry. It has no connection with your biometric validity
2) Would these new biometrics then be linked to my now-approved visa application? NO
3) How can I arrange this, if possible? Do I just make a regular biometrics appointment with VFS and tell them it's for an already-approved application?
4) Do I have to inform Canadian Immigration that I am doing this first?
5) Or is it too late to do the above, and I must get my stamp until Nov 2025, take biometrics again then reapply for another TRV at that time?

Edulima

May 24, 2023
I guess not a lot of people know about it. This is what Canada Immigration says on its website:

"An applicant with valid biometrics on file can voluntarily re-enrol their biometrics within the 10 year period if they wish to receive a visa or permit that covers a longer period.
For example, a person who wants to apply for a new 10-year visa and who last enrolled their biometric information 8 years ago could receive only a 2-year visa. To receive a 10-year visa, they would have to voluntarily re-enrol their biometric information (and pay the associated fee)."

See the link: Biometrics – 1 in 10 expiry periods - Canada.ca
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/identity-management/biometrics/validity.html

ashokb732

Jun 1, 2023
This is not true. A tourist visa will be issued till a date that is expiring early... it can be a passport or bio-metric validity date. whichever expires first, visa will be given only till that date.

mtalgeh

Jul 8, 2023
I have similar case. I got my TRV approved along with correspondence letter. How I can pay and submit my biometric information again to extend deadline?

Edulima

May 24, 2023
I have similar case. I got my TRV approved along with correspondence letter. How I can pay and submit my biometric information again to extend deadline?
Unfortunately, you would not be allowed to renew your boimetrics once your visa is approved. Renewal of biometrics is possible only during the time your visa application is still in process.

mtalgeh

Jul 8, 2023
Thank you for your feedback.
But what is the point of sending corrospondence letter at time of approved application stating that " if you wish to extend the validity of your permit or visa beyond the validity date indicated above you can provide your biometric information again and pay the associated fee for another ten-year validity"!
Have you contacted the embassy before about this case?

Edulima

May 24, 2023
My brother contacted the IRCC, and they told him that in order to renew his biometrics, he would have to cancel his visa application and submit a new one. My understanding is that you can renew your biometrics immediately upon receiving the correspondence letter. However, once your application is approved, you can no longer renew your biometrics.

Edulima

May 24, 2023
Thank you for your feedback.
But what is the point of sending corrospondence letter at time of approved application stating that " if you wish to extend the validity of your permit or visa beyond the validity date indicated above you can provide your biometric information again and pay the associated fee for another ten-year validity"!
Have you contacted the embassy before about this case?
This is the response from IRCC

"Good day,

Kindly be informed that visa issuance is at the discretion of a Visa Officer and is not dependent on the validity of the biometrics.

If you wish to obtain a visa valid for a longer period , you must submit a new application for a temporary residence visa, and all associated fees must be paid.

If you wish to extend your biometrics, you may do so at your own discretion being fully aware that it will not result in an extension of your visa validity.

We trust that this information suffices in responding to your enquiry.

Regards,
Migration Office | Bureau de migration (SUL)"