+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Biometric Instruction Letter not received for Visa Transfer

kimianks

Apr 24, 2019
I already hold a valid visitor visa ( issued in 2014 ) and valid till June 2023. However my Old Passport ran out of pages and VFS Mumbai informed me that I would have to transfer the visa to the New Passport.

I applied with my mum ( who was a fresh applicant ) on 5th April and since we both hold valid US visas, our papers were taken under CAN+

They did not collect Biometrics for me ( I should have cross verified the same ) and said I only need to bear the Transfer fees.

However I received a communication on 11th April that I have to pay for the Biometrics fees and have my Biometrics submitted once the Instruction Letter is generated. I paid the same with my Friend's card and had the Payment Receipt mailed as a reply to the same email. I even had VFS courier a hard copy of the Receipt to the Consulate in Bangalore.

I also linked my Paper Application to the Online website yesterday.

However its 24th April today and I am yet to receive the Biometrics Instruction Letter. My travel is for 22nd May and I am getting quite restless about it.

I also need to apply for UK before flying out since I might not have time once I return from the States and Canada.

Could someone please let me know how long the process takes or be of any assistance?

Thank you for the help!

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
This is all rather unfortunate. You could have kept the still valid visa in your old passport and entered Canada with that and your new passport together.

kimianks

Apr 24, 2019
This is all rather unfortunate. You could have kept the still valid visa in your old passport and entered Canada with that and your new passport together.
Yes that is what I had planned all along. However VFS and travel consultants told me that I need to transfer it to my New Passport. ( unlike US Visa ) VFS staff was misinformed about the Biometrics Enrollment...and thanks to them I am stuck..

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Yes that is what I had planned all along. However VFS and travel consultants told me that I need to transfer it to my New Passport. ( unlike US Visa ) VFS staff was misinformed about the Biometrics Enrollment...and thanks to them I am stuck..
Unfortunately, VFS has given you bad advice. You could have traveled with both passports.

You are now being assessed for a brand new application. This was not necessary. Anyway. It's done.

The good news is that as your application has been marked for CAN+ processing, hopefully you will get a decision soon. You have about a month to go. So, it's still too early to worry

Reactions: kimianks

kimianks

Apr 24, 2019
Unfortunately, VFS has given you bad advice. You could have traveled with both passports.

You are now being assessed for a brand new application. This was not necessary. Anyway. It's done.

The good news is that as your application has been marked for CAN+ processing, hopefully you will get a decision soon. You have about a month to go. So, it's still too early to worry
Thank you ma'am. If this is being treated as a new application then I might be required to provide biometrics right?

I wish VFS had not given me wrong advice..

If for some reason the process does get delayed or I face rejection due to a visa already held, I should be able to travel with the visa on the Old Passport right?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
You still have both your old passport and your new passport?

IRCC may have cancelled the validity of your old visa if they are processing a new one, but I'm not sure.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Thank you ma'am. If this is being treated as a new application then I might be required to provide biometrics right?
That's correct. If you had traveled with both passports then you were not required to give your biometrics until the expiry of the old TRV.

I wish VFS had not given me wrong advice..
Maybe it is a good idea to seek second opinions for such matters.

If for some reason the process does get delayed or I face rejection due to a visa already held, I should be able to travel with the visa on the Old Passport right?
No, your old TRV has been cancelled in the IRCC system.

Just to be sure:
Which application form did you submit this time?

kimianks

Apr 24, 2019
That's correct. If you had traveled with both passports then you were not required to give your biometrics until the expiry of the old TRV.

Maybe it is a good idea to seek second opinions for such matters.

No, your old TRV has been cancelled in the IRCC system.

Just to be sure:
Which application form did you submit this time?
I had submitted the following docs :

Visa Info Form
Family Form
Consent Form
Covering letter
Complete Itinerary
All passports ( 4 in all )
Income Tax Returns for 3 years
NOC / Leave Letter from my Employer ( Father's Business )
Last 3 months Salary Slips
Flight tickets to US and flight tickets from US to Canada & back
Hotel Booking in Canada

I have been to Canada in 2014 when I had my earlier visa..

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
I had submitted the following docs :

Visa Info Form
Family Form
Consent Form
Covering letter
Complete Itinerary
All passports ( 4 in all )
Income Tax Returns for 3 years
NOC / Leave Letter from my Employer ( Father's Business )
Last 3 months Salary Slips
Flight tickets to US and flight tickets from US to Canada & back
Hotel Booking in Canada

I have been to Canada in 2014 when I had my earlier visa..
In short:
You submitted an application for Temporary Residence i.e. IMM 5257 + evidence of your ties/purpose of visit = Application for a brand new TRV

kimianks

Apr 24, 2019
In short:
You submitted an application for Temporary Residence i.e. IMM 5257 + evidence of your ties/purpose of visit = Application for a brand new TRV
VFS told me that Financials were optional documents for a transfer visa but I submitted those nonetheless..

Have linked the Paper Application with the Online account too..

Hoping the application doesn't get rejected ma'am :(

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
VFS told me that Financials were optional documents for a transfer visa but I submitted those nonetheless..
Financials are not necessary for CAN+ processing. That said, VFS did not tell you that this complete application package itself was not necessary. Anyway.

Have linked the Paper Application with the Online account too..

Hoping the application doesn't get rejected ma'am :(
What is the online status?

Normally we do not advise applying more than one month before the expiry of a valid TRV. You've applied four years too soon. But hopefully, you will get a new TRV with a longer validity this time (until the expiry of your new passport)

kimianks

Apr 24, 2019
Financials are not necessary for CAN+ processing. That said, VFS did not tell you that this complete application package itself was not necessary. Anyway.

What is the online status?

Normally we do not advise applying more than one month before the expiry of a valid TRV. You've applied four years too soon. But hopefully, you will get a new TRV with a longer validity this time (until the expiry of your new passport)
Ma'am Current Status Shows "submitted".

In Full Application Status it says "We are processing your application. We will send you a message when there is an update or if we need more information from you"

Then there are a set of Application Step & Current Status statements..

Application Step "Biometrics" states "We do not need your fingerprints. We will send you a message if this changes" ( however I did recieve a mailer to pay my fees online which I did and still waiting for a revert or the Instruction Letter )

Thank you so much ma'am for the help..its just too confusing the entire process..

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Ma'am Current Status Shows "submitted".

In Full Application Status it says "We are processing your application. We will send you a message when there is an update or if we need more information from you"

Then there are a set of Application Step & Current Status statements..

Application Step "Biometrics" states "We do not need your fingerprints. We will send you a message if this changes" ( however I did recieve a mailer to pay my fees online which I did and still waiting for a revert or the Instruction Letter )

Thank you so much ma'am for the help..its just too confusing the entire process..
1. If you've been asked to pay the biometric fees then you will get a BIL soon.

2. As for the status updates, 'We are reviewing your eligibility' means you can expect a decision soon

kimianks

Apr 24, 2019

2. As for the status updates, 'We are reviewing your application' means you can expect a decision soon
Thank you ma'am for all the help...really appreciate it...will keep you posted about any updates.

Fingers crossed

kimianks

Apr 24, 2019

2. As for the status updates, 'We are reviewing your eligibility' means you can expect a decision soon
Ma'am Apologies..I made an error in the first post..

My Agent ( friend ) paid the Biometrics fees on my behalf ( with his card ) and I had mailed the payment receipt as a reply to the same email communication..
( back then I had not linked the Paper Application online )

I also couriered the payment receipt through VFS to IRCC in Bangalore

Was this the correct procedure?