+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Best places in Canada to immigrate?

glparker4

Jun 7, 2007
I am a US citizen (from Atlanta) wishing to immigrate to Canada. I have considered Winnipeg, MB because I have friends nearby in ND and I am interested in applying to Manitoba PNP under the Community Support stream. However, others have referred me to Vancouver because of the nice climate and better quality of life. When I have visited Winnipeg, the cold weather was tolerable (around 4C) but I know it gets brutally cold. I have also not been able to find many jobs in IT in Winnipeg. I have checked the job sites and it seems that most IT jobs are clustered around GTA, Calgary, Montreal, and Vancouver. Since I don't speak French, Montreal is out of the question. I have read that Toronto is overcrowded, expensive, and has rude drivers (I might as well stay in the US for that). Calgary and Vancouver seem like viable options, but I have not had much luck finding an interested employer. I have an extensive resume that I posted on monster.ca, Workopolis, etc. and have only received responses from US companies. I have been trying to find a NAFTA approved job that doesn't require HRSDC approval. I have checked with the CIC and I do qualify for the minimum 67 points to immigrate. I know that my situation is unique to me but I am hoping someone can provide some useful advice for me as well as other forum members...

Do you have any recommendations on finding a (NAFTA approved) job in Canada?

It seems that getting nominated through a PNP is much quicker than applying directly to CIC. However, all PNPs require job offers except MB. I am tempted to apply to MB but I do not want to be stuck there if I can't find a job. How long would I be required to stay in MB assuming I make a good faith effort in finding a job?

Are there any recommendations on best places/cities to focus my attention? Everyone that immigrates seems to only consider Toronto. I am from the American South but I am very adaptable.

If all else fails, it seems like my only option is to land once I have PR and try to find a job when I get there. That seems somewhat risky and I have read horror stories from immigrants with Masters and Ph. Ds who end up working low wage jobs and barely surviving.

gilipsie

Star Member
Jul 11, 2007
I would also say Vancouver as well because of the area. I mean I have family out there as well so to be honest of course I would say that BUT the weather is neutral compared to Winn.