+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Best pathway for bringing my future wife to Canada

moe17

Oct 27, 2022
Hi all, I arrived in Canada in July with a closed Work Permit Visa under the Global Talent Stream program. At that time I was not married, so I came alone.

If I get CLB 9 in IELTS, my CRS score would be around 480. I was thinking to apply through the express entry and after getting PR, marrying her, and then trying to bring her through sponsorship but found out that spousal sponsorships take too long (12 months).

My question is, what would be the best/quickest way to bring her to Canada? I've heard people marry online. Would I be able to marry her online and bring her as my spouse while on a work permit or should I do it after applying for express entry and getting PR?

Thanks in advance!

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi all, I arrived in Canada in July with a closed Work Permit Visa under the Global Talent Stream program. At that time I was not married, so I came alone.

If I get CLB 9 in IELTS, my CRS score would be around 480. I was thinking to apply through the express entry and after getting PR, marrying her, and then trying to bring her through sponsorship but found out that spousal sponsorships take too long (12 months).

My question is, what would be the best/quickest way to bring her to Canada? I've heard people marry online. Would I be able to marry her online and bring her as my spouse while on a work permit or should I do it after applying for express entry and getting PR?

Thanks in advance!
Processing is 2 years not 12 months. You have to marry in person. Marriage by proxy is not accepted. Once married, you can apply for open work permit. You will need to show genuineness of the relationship (long-term, photos etc).

moe17

Oct 27, 2022
Processing is 2 years not 12 months. You have to marry in person. Marriage by proxy is not accepted. Once married, you can apply for open work permit. You will need to show genuineness of the relationship (long-term, photos etc).
Would the wait time be the same if I marry her while on a work permit and after getting PR/waiting for PR?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Would the wait time be the same if I marry her while on a work permit and after getting PR/waiting for PR?
You can marry her now (in person) and then she can apply for open work permit. I can’t tell your if it will be approved. Depends on your work permit and expiry.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Used to be 2 years but then both inland and outland went to 1 year for around 80% of applications. Processing times have increased due to Covid but there has been a focus on processing spousal sponsorships faster and some are being processed in less than 1 year again. Partially depends on where the spouse is from and whether interview is required.

Reactions: Naturgrl

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
What type of dating history do you have? Is this western-style dating where you may have travelled together, attended events as a couple or even lived together? Is this an arranged marriage? What is her education and work history? Would she qualify for ICT or WP especially GSS? Is she from a visa exempt country?

moe17

Oct 27, 2022
What type of dating history do you have? Is this western-style dating where you may have travelled together, attended events as a couple or even lived together? Is this an arranged marriage? What is her education and work history? Would she qualify for ICT or WP especially GSS? Is she from a visa exempt country?
We are dating for more than 1 year, yes, we have traveled together, and attended events as couples but haven't lived together. It wouldn't be arranged marriage. She is done with her undergrads and doesn't have a work history and no won't qualify for the ICT/GSS. Our country is not visa-exempt.

With my work permit, my spouse would have had an open work permit, but I wasn't married when I applied for the WP. My real question is, while I am on a work permit, would it be easier to bring her after going back and getting married, how would that process be?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
We are dating for more than 1 year, yes, we have traveled together, and attended events as couples but haven't lived together. It wouldn't be arranged marriage. She is done with her undergrads and doesn't have a work history and no won't qualify for the ICT/GSS. Our country is not visa-exempt.

With my work permit, my spouse would have had an open work permit, but I wasn't married when I applied for the WP. My real question is, while I am on a work permit, would it be easier to bring her after going back and getting married, how would that process be?
She is unlikely to qualify for a TRV but you can certainly try. If you qualify for PR adding her to your application may take the same as applying for OWP after marriage which would take around 6 months. Would apply for PR, get married and then add her to your PR application,