+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Best option to immigrate?

adream_24

Dec 8, 2013
Hi everyone,

I am an Italian citizen and I started a same sex relationship with a Canadian citizen 6 months ago. I am now set on moving to Canada to join permanently my partner while supporting myself with a job. I have been doubtful about how to go about with the process for permanent residency.

I am considering entering Canada with a working holiday visa as for now I see it as the only available option to stay in Canada for a long period as soon as possible. The working holiday will allow me to work with an open permit for 6 only months though. Once that is over I’ll need a sponsor to stay or I’d have to leave again.

Having considered that I don’t fall into any of the skilled workers categories, would it be a good to start the move with a working holiday visa? Or are there any other options that I should consider? Would my partner be able to sponsor me or would there be the need of meeting a certain income to sponsor someone?

Thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You have a couple of options. If you and your partner are ready for marriage, you can get married in Canada and your partner can sponsor you for PR. Otherwise, if you manage to live together as a couple for 12 months, you would qualify as common law partners in order for him to sponsor you.

A way to stay for 12 months when you start off with a 6 month work permit could be trying to find an employer who will apply for your LMO (labour market opinion) so that you can apply for a regular work permit. If you don't succeed, you could apply to change your status to visitor before your 6 months are up. Say that you are in a relationship with a Canadian and you want to stay for 12 months in order to qualify for common law. Immigration would usually approve, especially if you can show that your partner has income and would support you. During this time, you could still continue to look for an employer who will apply for your LMO.

After applying for sponsorship, it doesn't happen instantly though. It can take several months or longer. During that time, if you haven't gotten an LMO and a regular work permit yet, you either apply to extend your visit status and continue to stay in Canada if your partner can support you or you go back to Italy and work.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Note that Canadian immigration does not process same sex couples differently than opposite sex couples.